THE AMATEUR.

The amateur definition is strict, and there is a disposition both in England and America to wink less at the evasion of the rule. Very few of the socalled amateur oarsmen who are prominent can put their hands upon their breasts and testify that this clause does not apply to them: "Whose membership of any rowing or other athletic club was bot brought about, or does not continue, because of any mutual agreement or understanding, expressed or implied, whereby his becoming or continuing a member of such club would be of any pecuniary benefit to him whatever, direct or indirect." When we see a man devoting nearly his whole time to the oar and indulging in expensive habits, we know that he cannot keep within the letter of the amateur law, unless he has a fixed income; and if we happen to know that he has no property which yields an income, the conclusion is irresistible that he is pecuniarily benefited, directly or indirectly, by continuing a member of the club. And when we see an athlete doing pretty much the same thing on the cinder path, the conviction grows upon us that he profits indirectly from gate money competition, or otherwise benefits by his pursuit of athletic exercises. The whole talent of the club which possesses one of these shining amateur lights is devoted to bush beating. Brains are racked to discover new methods to evade the law. the farce has gone on about long enough. If the amateur definition is too strict let it be made more elastic. But while it stands it should be enforced. It is gratifying to observe that earnest attention has been devoted to this question on both sides of the Mtlantic. [Turf, Field and Farm.