THE NINE.

In the course of a few weeks the nine will go into the field, and during the month of April will play all the games possible before the championship series begin. The candidates have been working hard all winter, and a decided improvement has been shown in the batting over that of last year. Nichols and Allen, and Winslow and Crocker have been playing together and both "batteries" are working well. It is rather early to select the nine, but it will probably be the same as that of last year. Smith has shown great improvement in the "cage" in his batting and will probably play first base. Second base is still open, as Coolidge will not return. Phillips, '86, has been playing steadily and is a promising candidate. Baker will probably cover short and Beaman third. LeMoyne will play left-field, and, provided Phillips plays second-base, Lovering will be kept in right-field, where he did such good service last year. Crocker when not behind the bat will probably play centre-field. We think the make up of the nine the strongest the college has seen for years, and there is no reason why with the promised improvement in batting the nine should not be well towards the head at the end of the season.