TO THE CLASS OF EIGHTY-FOUR.

You will receive from me tomorrow the blanks on which the class lives are to be written. There exists so much uncertainty as regards the value of these lives and the use that is made of them, that a few words of explanation may not be unacceptable. It is the intention of the class secretaries in requesting every member of the class to write a short autobiographical sketch to obtain items of interest in the pre-collegiate and college life of each member, not easily ascertained by any other method. When the class lives are all handed in, they will be bound and kept in some accessible place, open to the inspection of the class only. The importance of these records may now seem but trifling, yet in after years, when many of those little items which give our college life its ideal character are forgotten, the wisdom of preserving an account of each individual college course will be most clearly demonstrated. Should there chance to be among us any Johnson, in these class lives, if reasonable care be bestowed upon them, will be found his Boswell.

The blanks which are sent to you are somewhat less formidable than those that have been used by preceding secretaries,? the diminution in size will be rewarded by a corresponding diminution in that strange dread which the mention of a class life seems to throw upon the average Harvard senior. They may be deposited at my room, 32 Matthews, or given to me at any time, and it will be a great favor to receive them at your earliest convenience.

In order that members may be able better to know what is desired of them, I have written a brief, imaginary life, which is necessarily dull and uninteresting because of its unreality. In general, members are requested to write their genealogy some what in detail, telling all of their relatives that may have been famous, their father's business, mother's maiden name, and the residence of both. Next, stating your birth-place, you are invited to chronicle all precocious traits of childhood; your early school days; place of preparing for college, and all honors received at entrance. Mention the name of your chum; the place you roomed at; the college societies you have belonged to and offices you have held under them, and all athletic contests in which you have participated. The nature of your life, how you spent your time, what were your chief amusements and recreations, your favorite authors and studies, should all be given. Lastly, after stating all college honors awarded to you, insert all other facts which you deem suitable.

EDWARD A. HIBBARD, Secy class of 1844.LIFE OF RICHARD FULLERTON, A MEMBER OF THE CLASS OF 1844.I was born in Covington, Kentucky, June 10, 1861. My father, Charles F. Fullerton, was born in Dover, N. H., October 23, 1818. He was one of four sons of Eugene L. Fullerton, a physician of Dover. My grandfather's ancestors came to America from England, in 1744, and settled in Scituate, Mass. His branch of the family removed to Dover, where he was born July 12, 1783. In 1806 he married Rebecca Allison of Keene, N. H., and lived with her until his death, March 10, 1828. The following table will show my father's family:

E. D. Fullerton=Rebecca Allison, (b. 1786, d. 1839.)

O. J. S. S. C. F. F. S.

b. 1810. b. 1813. b. 1818. b. 1821.

My uncle, Orien J. Fullerton, was a physician, a graduate of class of '31, Harvard College. Obliged to work his way through college owing to his father's death, he soon became one of the leading members of his profession, and was State Senator from the Dover district, from 1851 to 1855. He died in 1862 from injuries received in a railroad accident about one year previous. My uncle, Samuel S. Fullerton, died in 1832, while a junior at Yale college. And my uncle Francis S. Fullerton, is now engaged in the flour business in Wilma, Minnesota.

My father removed to Covington in 1842, and soon established himself in the profession of law. In 1844 he was married to Elizabeth N. Chase, having by her one son. She died in 1849, and in 1852 my father was again married to Clara F. Weston, of Louisville, Ky., daughter of Hon. Charles L. Weston, then mayor of the city. The following table will show my family:

Eliz N. Chase.=C. F. Fullerton.=Clara F. Weston.

R. S. Fullerton. Minnie F. Fullerton. Rich. Fullerton.

b. 1847, June B. 1857, Nov. 4 b. 1861, June

10, d. 1882, 10.

Nov. 9.

My half brother, Rufus S. Fullerton, died two years ago of pneumonia. My sister still lives at home.

The house in which I was born is situated on Lake street, number 17. It is near the residence of the Hon. John G. Carlisle, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and an intimate professional friend of my father. In this house I have resided all my life, excepting the six last years,-two spent at Exeter, four at Cambridge. Graduating at the Covington Grammar school in 1876 and the High school in 1878, I spent two years at Exeter, preparatory to entering Harvard. I passed at the July examination, 1880, with honors and conditions alike invisible. Travelling in Italy during the summer preceding my entrance to college, I became acquainted with Redburn of our class, and determined to room with him. We spent three years together very pleasantly, occupying Matthew 14 in freshman year, and Holworthy 7 the next two; this year I room alone at Holworthy 7.

Although my father, being a lawyer, has always directed my studies with reference to my selecting his own profession, I have not entirely limited myself in regard to my electives. In sophomore year, I took the present History 2, Philosophy 1, Political Economy 1, German 2, and History 3. In junior year, History 9 and 13, Political Economy 2 and Philosophy 3; History 15, Political Economy 4, and Roman Law 1.

While I have not by any means been a close student, still I have not been entirely idle. I have read a good deal in French, German and English literature, being a particular admirer of Dickens and Victor Hugo. The Tale of Two Cities and Les Miserables I have read each three times. Carlyle and Emerson, I regret to say, have not found in me so diligent a student. The newspapers and magazines I have always followed very carefully, especially in all articles on political topics and debates.

My chief amusements have been the theatre and the opera. Society, with its frivolous tendencies, has presented few charms to me. Partly from bashfulness, partly from misogynism, I have always taken special care to avoid all feminine society. But of Salvini and Booth, Januschausky and Margaret Mather, I think I should never tire; while I have been carried away with enthusiasm at the high notes of Sembrich.

Athletics I have never participated in, because my light weight has debarred me from all the crews and teams. Yet I have always found great pleasure in the numerous inter-collegiate contests, and think that athletics, if kept within proper limits, are almost wholesome influence in college life. The present action of the faculty I think inexpedient, to say the least.

In my sophomore year I was a member of the Institute of 1770. In my senior year of the Hasty Pudding Club. I was for a short time an editor of the ill-fated Echo. I have also been a member of the Alpha Delta Phi and O. K., and, among the special societies, of the St. Paul's, Art Club, Historical Society, and Harvard Union, having spoken occasionally in the last named society. While in the Institute I was secretary of the society for part of my term, and was also librarian of the St. Paul's in freshman year.

I intend to enter the Harvard Law School next year, to remain two years. Then I hope to be admitted a member of the Kentucky Bar. And wherever I am I shall always look back with much pleasure to the four years in which '84 had an active existence.