MASS MEETING ON ATHLETICS.

The mass meeting of the students last evening in Holden Chapel filled that building to overflowing. Conant, '84, was elected chairman, and Sawin, '84, secretary of the meeting. R. D. Smith, '86, introduced the following resolutions which were carried unanimously:

"At a meeting of the students on Monday, March 3d, called to ascertain the feeling of the undergraduates on the recent Athletic regulations,

1. Resolved, That this meeting approve the mass petition and the petition presented by the committee of the college athletic societies asking for a reconsideration and revocation of the resolutions recently passed by the faculty regulating athletics.

2. Whereas, We do not admit that evils have crept into athletics through the employment of professionals,

Resolved, That in our opinion the action of the faculty has been hasty.

3. Whereas, We do not admit that the employment of professionals is necessarily an evil, and whereas we consider the regulations fatal to inter-collegiate athletics and to the best interests of athletics in general,

Resolved, That the regulations are inexpedient,

4. Whereas the term "professional" has not been defined, and whereas it is impossible to enforce the rules,

Resolved, That these regulations are ineffective.

5. Whereas, the undergraduates who carry on and support athletics have not been consulted with in regard to these regulations,

Resolved, That the undergraduates cannot co-operate with the faculty in effecting these changes which they regard as destructive to their athletic interests."

These resolutions were widely discussed, several gentleman calling particular attention to the opinion often expressed by the faculty that student's meetings seldom express real student feeling. This meeting, it was earnestly hoped, would not be of this character. The two petitions, the faculty held, only expressed the individual opinion of the signers; this meeting was called to give voice to the united sentiment of the college.

H. G. Chapman, '83, thought it to be the general opinion that the faculty is not in the wrong in trying to stem the tide of professionalism in the college; but its present action is inconsistent and impracticable. Most will admit the possibility of an excess of professionalism, Mr. Sexton thought; professionalism and the employment of professionals were different things, however. The one was an evil; the other was not necessarily so.

Emphatic approval was given to the action of the meeting by the following gentlemen called upon by the chair: Greve, '84, Clapp, '84, Hubbard, '83, foster, '80, Bancroft, '79, and Carpenter, '85. Mr. Bancroft feared that he himself "was a possible evil, which the faculty was trying to abolish." Graduates, generally, he thought, would agree with the distinction between professionalism (an evil) and the employment of professionals (often desirable). Mr. Hubbard said he felt more and more the conviction that athletics was a matter which properly and safely could be left to the students. The evils complained of would naturally work out their own cure. Mr. Foster, '80, called attention to the evils felt by former classes who did not have the benefit of professional trainers. Enthusiastic applause was given to every expression of emphatic disapproval of the faculty's action. It was impossible to mistake the tone of the meeting. On motion tellers were appointed to take the opinion of those leaving the hall after adjournment on the action of the meeting. Only one was found who stated that he did not consider himself bound by the votes taken at the meeting.