UNIVERSITY CALENDAR.

APRIL, 1884.-No. 114.

MARCH 9. SUNDAY.Appleton Chapel. Rev. George W. Briggs, D. D., 7.30 P. M. "Reality of Spiritual Things."

10. MONDAY.Harvard Philosophical Club. Certain Ideals of right Conduct and their Value for Society. Dr. Royce. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M.

11. TUESDAY.Certain Authors of the XVIIIth and XIXth Centuries. Special subject: Jane Austen (continued). Prof. A. S. Hill. Sever 11, 11 A. M.

Law Faculty. Meeting at President's House, 7.30 P. M.

Harvard Historical Society. Gettysburg, June 10 to July 14, 1863. Col. Theodore A. Dodge. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M.

12. WEDNESDAY.Electricity and Magnetism. Prof. Lovering. Harvard 3, 11 A. M.

Latin Readings. Trinummus of Plautus (first half). Prof. Greenough. Sever 11. 7.30 P. M.

13. THURSDAY.Narrative Composition. Special subject: Methods in Narrative. Mr. Briggs. Sever 11, 11 A. M.

Divinity Hall Lectures. One word about Free will. Professor Wm. James. Divinity Hall Chapel, 7.30 P. M.

Sir Thomas Browne. (Bowdoin Prize Dissertation). Mr. Lewis E. Gates. Sever 11, 7.30 P. M.

SENIOR FORENSICS.The third forensic will be returned to sections 1 and 2 (Abbott to Holt) on Tuesday, March 11, from 2 till 4 P. M., in Sever 1.

The fourth forensic will be due on March 25. Subjects: 1. Ought the government do anything to aid in reviving the commerce of the United States? 2. What ought to be considered the real issues in the coming presidential-election contest? 3. Why does poverty tend to increase as the population and wealth of a nation increase? 4. The influence of religion upon plastic art and painting. 5. Define realism as exemplified in novel writing. 6. The influence of Aristotle on modern thought.

JUNIOR FORENSIC.Third forensic, due on Thursday, March 13, from 2.30 to 4 P. M. in Sever 1. Subjects: 1. By what arguments can the existence of private property in land he justified? 2. From their point of view, were the Greeks justified in condemning Socrates to death? 3. Is language necessary to thought? 4. Can the State do anything to prevent monopolies? 5. The Duke of Marlborough and Wellington compared.

JUNIOR THEMES.Mr. Wendell will criticise Theme V. before all sections (advanced and regular) in Sever 11, on Tuesday, March 11, at 2 o'clock.

Theme VIII. will be returned with criticisms to the advanced section, in Sever 5, on Thursday, March 13, from 2.30 to 4.30.

SOPHOMORE THEMES.Theme 4 will be due on Thursday, March 13. Subject, a Narrative. (Subjects from the Civil War are suggested. See the outline of the course of lectures before the Historical Society posted in the library, and the books reserved by Mr. Hart).