NEW GYMNASIUM APPARATUS.

RECENT INVENTIONS OF DR. SARGENT.

Among the recent improvements that have been made by Dr. Sargent in gymnasium apparatus is a new arrangement of pulley-weights, which tends to reduce the friction to a minimum, and thereby renders work on them easier and more agreeable. This result is accomplished by substituting rolled shafting, similar to that used in mills, in place of the plain iron rods now in use in the old machines; by changing the bearings so that the weight box will run exactly parallel to the bars, and thus prevent lateral pressure, and by increasing the diameter of the pivot.

A person who uses an old pulleyweight a few minutes and then turns to an improved one, will notice a very marked improvement, and one that will, in time, cause the old machines to be supplanted by the new ones. For, as Dr. Sargent says, a man does not so much mind the weights in the box, but he instinctively turns to the machine with the less friction.

Dr. Sargent has also introduced a system of swivel pulleys in the higher weights, so that side movements can be performed without involving any lateral friction. To the sliding chains and other machines of a similar nature, the perpendicular rods which support the pulleys have been directly attached, instead of being fastened to the wall or floor as has heretofore been the case. In this way each machine is entirely independent of stationary fastenings, and, when necessary, may be easily transported. Three horizontal bars, parallel to each other, have been placed in the gymnasium. By this means a greater variety of feats may be executed as well as double movements. When necessary for movements like the "giant swing," the center bar may be removed.

The improvements mentioned, and many others, Dr. Sargent proposes to introduce into the Hemenway gymnasium, as soon as the old apparatus necessitates repairs being made.

In reply to a question in regard to the gymnastic material in college, Dr. Sargent said that never before has the outlook been so promising.