THE UNIVERSITY WINS.

A CLOSE RACE BETWEEN THE UNIVERSITY AND SENIOR CREWS.

Owing to an incomprehensible mistake of the printer, this important account was omitted from yesterday's issue. [Eds.

The race of Wednesday was one of the closest ever rowed on the Charies river. At no time was there a foot of clear water between the boats; but first one boat, and then the other would be ahead. It recalls the race between '82 and '83 two years ago, in which the for mer crew won by about were prepared to witness the race from the pier of the railroad bridge, and in all kinds of conveyances. Many had gathered at the Union boat-house, mostly '84 men, who welcomed their crew with repeated cheers. Fast time was not to be expected, as the tide had been running in for about an hour, and a moderate wind was blowing from the starboard side. At about a quarter before six o'clock, the university crew came through the draw of the railroad bridge and was immediately followed by the seniors. Teh juniors and freshmen were lying on their oars at the start. In the latter boat was Col. Bancroft, who, after quickly getting the crews in line, started them with the word "go."

The university crew caught the water first and shot ahead about a quarter of a length, rowing 36 strokes to the minute. The seniors, though pulling 39 strokes in the first minute, were not able to get ahead, contrary to general expectation. Off the Cross Roads, near the end of the first mile. however, the seniors were leading, by about six feet. A little farther on, the '86 crew, which had been lying in wait entered the race and managed to keep a couple of lengths ahead of the other boarts. The second half of the race was still closer then the first half; one crew gained, and immediately after, the the other would recover the lost distance. A half-mile from the finish the university crew, inch by inch, drew away from the seniors, and, though the latter raised the the number of their strokes to 38 to the minute, they slowly fell behind, until at the finish they were about three quarters of a length in the rear. The time of the winning crew was 11 min., 44 sec., whild the seniors came in about four seconds later. The seniors, at times, rowed as many as 39 strokes to the minute, and never below 36. Both crews seem to have pulled a hard race, and to have excerpted the themselves to their utmost. '84 is to be congratulated on possessing a crew able to make so good a record against our representative eight. A month ago little was expected of the seniors' new stroke. But lately the opinion among boating men has changed, and it has been predicted that the seniors can easily win the class races. Yesterday's race shows that, unless the other crews improve considerably within the next two weeks, they can hope only for a good second place.

The university crew rowed in the following order:

POSITION. NAME. WEIGHT.

1. W. W. Mumford, '84, 169

2. W. G. Borland, '86, 181

3. J. J. Storrow, '85, 160

4. J. L. Hamlin, L. S., 170

5. E. E. Hamlin, '86 176

6. S. I. Hudgens, '84, 196

7. E. A. Stanley, '84, 195

Stroke. R. P. Perkins, '84' 194

Cox. S. P. Sanger, '83.

The seniors rowed as follows:

POSITION. NAME. WEIGHT.

1. G. R. Agassiz, 145

2. E. L. Conant, 168

3. H. W. Bliss, 162

4. R. F. Howe, 175

5. G. Kemp, 165

6. R. A. Penrose, 160

7. S. T. Hutchinson, 170

Stroke, W. P. Bryant, 155

Cox. C. B. Davis, 110