VOLUNTARY PRAYERS.

Among the answers received by Mr. Garrison, '61, from the candidates for overseers, stating their views on the prayer question, are the letters from gen. Palfrey and Henry Cabot Lodge in favor of having them voluntary. The questions which Mr. Garrison addressed to the gentlemen were:

1. If elected, would you favor granting a petition that attendance upon moring prayers be madepurely voluntary?

2. Would you favor granting a petition that church attendance on Sunday be left (a) purely voluntary, or (b) subject to parental control?

General F. W. Palfrey replied:

Your letter of April 18 is before me. As for your first inquiry, I should be in favor of granting a petition that attendance upon moring prayers be made purely voluntary. I never thought well of blending a religious exercise and a police regulation, i.e., roll-call.

As for your second inquiry, about Sabbath attendance at church, I should desire the fuller light that I should have to get, were I elected an overseer, from my associates, before finally making up my mind. Everything, or rather many things, have changed greatly since I was an undergraduate-the age of students among them.

Mr. Lodage said:

I have received today your letter of April 18, making certain inquiries as to my opinions as a candidate of the board of overseers of Harvard University. I can only say in reply that I have always believed that it would be better in every way that attendance on moring prayers at Harvrd should be voluntary; and that the question of attendance at church on Sunday is one which could be most fitly and safely entrusted to the decision of the parents or guardians of each student.

Two other gentlemen, whose names are not published, also favored voluntary prayers, and the Rev. Mr. Foote said he would not pledge himself.