THE CLASS RACE FIZZLE.

A FALSE START AND NO RACE-THREE CREWS ROW OVER THE COURSE.

Saturday was a disagreeable day in more ways than one. The warm weather and bright sun of the morining gave promise of good weather conditions and fine sport ; consequently the great preparations for withnessing the race were carried out. Before the race the scene was an enlivening one. The roof and balcony of the Union boat-house, the sea-walls, the stable roofs and the windows of the Beacon street houses, each held a considerable gathering of interested spectators. Among them were many ladies, who, with their bright dresses and parasols made a pretty sight. Many carriages were also scattered along the road from the Long-wood bridge to the finish. In addition to these facilities for seeing the race, unusual means for following the crews upon the water were arranged by the different classes. Besides the referees tug, "Wm. Sprague," five others had been chartered. Two of these were thronged with freshmen, while two more contained, one a large party of juniors, while the other floated a large blue flag with a white '86 upon it The fifth and last tug was filled with a large party of young ladies and gentiemen.

At 11.35 the tug Wm. Sprague left the West Boston bridge and stopping at the Union boat-house, took the referee on board. She was followed up river by the other steam craft and all moored at or near the railway bridge at Brookline. Then ensued a long wait for the crews to come down, which was enlivened by two sharp showers of rain and hail. About one o'clock the draw was opened and the crews came through in the following order : '86, '85, 84 and '87. They then drew up to the referee's tug and received these instructions :

"Every boat will take position as soon as practicable after passing the drawbridge.

A succession of short whistles from the referee's boat will be the signal to prepare for the race, remove jerseys, etc. ; and, as soon as the crews are ready, the coxswain will take off his crew is prepared.

The signal for starting will be given thus : A short whistle from the referee's boat will stand for the usual "Are you ready?" and if no reply is received a long whistle will be given three seconds later as the signal to start.

Otherwise the rules of the national amateur association will govern the race.

Recall signal, three whistles."

The boats then backed up to the starting boats which were moored to a fixed hawser. At about eleven minutes after one o'clock the signal was given, which not all the crews seemed to understand, for '84 alone started at once. The juniors and then the freshmen followed quickly, but not until the orange and black was some feet to the fore. '86 did not start 'till a length or so after the others, and seeing that they had made a mistake stopped rowing. The referee desiring to see fair play, sounded the recall at once, but no attention was paid to it by '84, '85 and '87. As they evidently would be in no condition to row again that day, Dr. Williams said the race would have to be postponed until Monday at 1.30.

Meanwhile '84 and '85 were tugging away at their oars in a close struggle to reach the Union boat-house, while the freshmen seemed intent on making for the long Cambridge bridge. Half way down the course they turned and followed up the leaders, rowing a fast and effective stroke. '84 came in ahead by over a length, and the freshmen finished four or five lengths behind '85. Owing to the fact that no tugs followed the boats closely the time could not be ascertained, but one estimate figures it at under ten minutes. The crowd and students on the leading tugs were much disappointed when the referee's boat came down and the announcement "no race," was made. The desire to see fair play and a good even start ought to reconcile all to the postponement which was but just to '86. '85 and '87 would also have shown up a little better if they had started exactly even with the sentiors.

The whole uncertainty and the wonderful improvement shown by '87 will keep the interest up to fever heat until the race is decided this afternoon. The university steam lauuch, the "'67," will be used today by the referee and a pistol shot instead of the steam whistle to start the crews. As some slight delay will no doubt take place in getting all the crews down from their boat-house, the tide, which is high at 1.15 P. M., ought to be running out fast enough when the word is given. Smooth water and a fair day are now all that are wanting to make the race a success. The positions of the crews and the officers will be the same as on Saturday.