SOCIETY HALLS.

Apropos of what was said a few days ago concerning President White's ideas of society halls, we give the following longer quotation from his speech of that subject:

"And let me say here that I am a strong believer in the educational value of such houses and surroundings as this. All the education of a college course is by no means given in classrooms. What has given to the educated men of England and Germany that peculiar ripeness of culture with depth of feeling and though, which in a very remarkable degree has kept mere noise and boisterousness at a discount in their public assemblies, and, indeed in the whole theory and practice of their lives? Not, I think, what has been obtained in lecture-room, or recitation-room, so much as in these surroundings which suggest deep and quiet reflection,- these accretions of historic interest, these embodiments of tender sentiment. It is good for any student to feel that wise and true men have labored at his university before him,- that their quiet constructive work has been recognized,- that it outlasts the din and applause of stump speeches, and special pleadings of caucuses and conventions. That is the significance of those tablets inyounder chapel, of those tablets inyonder chapel, of those portraits in yonder library and faculty room, of those stained windows and marble monuments which are to be placed inyounder memorial building.

And let men say also that I hope private munificence may, before the University is much older, bring these same influences to bear upon students who from various reasons have not connected themselves with the fraternities. I hope to see houses for such students-club houses, if you please so to call them-with good accommodations, beautiful surroundings, and under student control. For years I have recommended such, and I hope that their growth will be stimulated by the erection of chapter houses. I am aware that it may be urged that such establishments may engender cliquishmess, narrowness, the substitution of a feeling of attachment to the house and its inmates for devotion to the interests of the entire university and of good fellowship with all of it students. Such has not been the result thus far. Several fraternities now here are occupying houses of their own, and nothing has been more pleasing to me in my relations with students here than attendance of receptions of these various fraternities in which guests were invited from the whole body of students without regard to the badge the student happened to wear.

I think that we may safely leave cliquishness and clannishness in our societies to the operation of general causes, and especially tot the growth of good sense among properlytrained young men.