THE LACROSSE SERIES.

HARVARD VS. YALE.

Harvard faced Yale Saturday upon Jarvis field to play off the annual championship game in the lacrosse series. The day was very warm and seemed more like the middle of July than the end of June. About three o'clock a fair sized audience, including a considerable sprinkling of ladies, had assembled on and around the field, and at about twenty minutes past the hour the ball was faced. Roundy drew the ball out of the scrimmage and sent it towards Yale's goal. Next, it came quickly back towards Harvard's defence, but was rushed out and kept in the air flying back and fourth until in a lively scrimmage around Harvard's goal, Spencer, of Yale, threw it between the flags. Time, 8 minutes. After the change of sides the play continued to be very even. Yale made a claim for goal which was disallowed. The Harvard defence showed up well, and Noyes and Woods, the two homes, worked well at the other end of the field. At the end of 36 minutes, Noyes made a beautiful throw, which Connell, the Yale goal-keeper, failed to stop, so that it passed through the goal posts and made the score a tie, 1 to 1.

After some delay the ball was again faced and Yale in a few minutes scored a second goal by a shot of twombly. Rueter made an attempt to stop it, but Spencer, of Yale, got his nose in the way so that the ball went through the poles, and Spencer, although saving the day for Yale, had a violent nose-bleed. Harvard made several close shots for goal, and once or twice the Yale men shot dangerously near Harvard's goal; but drake was there and defended his post well, ably seconded by the defence men. Time was called at the end of an hour and a half, with the score standing 2 to 1 in favor of Yale.

Yale played a good game throughout and showed marked improvement over last year in handling their sticks. McDowell and McCormick of the defence were very strong in their play. Their offence all seemed to play well and it was here that they overmatched Harvard. The defence of Harvard worked hard and well. Their throwing in particular, being a marked improvement over that of their first games. Drake, who played goal for the first time in any match did finely. Noyes and Woods played the best game on the offence, and Roundy was conspicuous among the fielders. The team felt the loss of Easton and Henry, who were away at New York, very keenly.

The teams were: Harvard, H. B. Drake, '87, goal; C. J. Rueter, '84, point; J. M. Goodale, '85, cover-point; H. M. Williams, '85, (captain) 1st defence field; G. G. Bradford, '86, 2nd defence field; F. S. Churchill, '86, 3d defence field; E. S. Abbot, '87, centre; C. Henning, C. S. 1st attack field; W. N. Roundy, '85, 2nd attack field; F. C. Hood, '86, 3d attack field; E. I. K. Noyes, '85, and home; E. F. Woods, '85, 1st home. Yale: Connell goal; Mallon (captain) point; Mc Donell cover-point; Mc Ccrmick 1st defence field; Sands 2d defence field; Colgate 3rd defence field; Rollins centre; Meacham 1st attack field; Ayers 2nd attack field; Mc Henry 3rd attack field; Spencer and Twombly homes. The referee was Mr. J. M. Paton, N. Y. University, '83, and the umpires were Col. W. A. Bancroft and Mr. Walker of New Haven.