PROFESSIONALS ON COLLEGE NINES.

The Cornell Era is authority for the following statements as to the men composing some of the so-called college nines of the New York College Base-ball Association. Of the Union College nine it says:

"Pendergrass received $3 per week for his services on the nine last year but we understand his salary has been raised to $3.50 this year. Mullen has been imported only at a great cost. Mayelon is a Schnectady fireman. Layler played on the Gloversville nine with Pendergrass last year. He was afraid that one of the foul tips would break the 'dormitory. winder.' McElwain is a post-graduate. All the rest of the nine are claimed to be college men."

This is certainly a fine showing for a nine composed of undergraduates. The status of the Hamilton nine must be on a par with Union if this single sentence from the Era is true. It continues: "Hamilton men claim that at least four of their nine are straight college men." With the next number of the Era we may expect to hear further particulars about some of the other nines.