THE BASE-BALL CHAMPIONSHIP.

The contest for the base-ball championship is now so far advanced that an intelligent view may be taken of the possibilities. Princeton and Dartmouth, having won only one game each, certainly have no chance. Brown with three games lost and four to play, two of these with Yale and Amherst, may be counted out of the race. This leaves Yale, Amherst and Harvard; either of these may possibly win, but Yale, with only one game decided against her, stands the best chance.

Harvard has three games yet to play, two with Dartmouth, which we must consider ourselves sure to win; and the final game with Yale. The importance of this game will depend on the issue of the coming games between the other colleges. If Yale wins all the games that are before her, beating Amherst again, the issue in the Yale-Harvard game will be whether Yale shall hold the championship, or an extra game be necessary. If Amherst wins in all her remaining games, including that with Yale, the Harvard-Yale game will decide wihch nine shall play off a tie with Amherst. To win the championship without an extra game we must win the games remaining for us to play, and Yale and Amherst must each lose one more game. The only combination of circumstances which can place us lower than second in the list, (ignoring the possibility of our defeat by Dartmouth) is the defeat of Yale by Amherst, our defeat by Yale, and success for Amherst in all other games.