HINTS ABOUT LITERATURE.

Mr. Wendell recently gave a talk on the above subject, which was so interesting that we venture to publish an account made up from notes taken at the time.

He essayed to answer three questions : First, What is literature? Second, Why do college students of today know so little about it? Third, What way shall we take to know more about it?

Literature was defined as "the artistic expression of thought and feeling in words. "The pursuit of literature does not afford a profitable field for one's life work, but is to be classed with music and painting. Its office is to furnish occupation for the spare hours of life. The development of taste in the appreciation of literary excellence is the pleasantest, the most accessible, the most improving and the safest of all pastimes.

Three causes were assigned for our deficiencies in literary taste : A reaction against the false views which prevailed fifty years ago as to the proper use of literature. It was in those days considered an essential for a well-bred man to be conversant with all famous authors. Education, therefore, consisted largely in a cramming process by which the student should become versed in the lives and writings of those men who had won the admiration of the world ; the proper method of testifying progress was to echo the praises which general use endorsed as appropriate. This was usually done without any genuine appreciation of the merits of the writers, resulting thus in a species of emptiness which left a clear path for the reaction which took place in favor of science. Second, the increase in the number and volume of newspapers and magazines. So full and detailed is the news of events in all parts of the world, so much is written on every matter of passing interest, that all our time would not suffice for any considerable part of it; to this evanescent reading we are tempted, and many of us are accustomed, to devote all those spare hours which might be devoted to those productions which have stood the test of years and proved their excellence. Third, fifty years ago almost every one was accustomed to devote a part of each day to the Bible, so that most people knew by heart a considerable portion of it. The general effect of this is very apparent, and can be very clearly seen in the writings of authors who have made the Bible a study. The neglect nowadays of the formalities of religion, accompanied by a decrease in familiarity with this book, has been a great loss in literary education.

How shall we go to work to supply our deficiency in literary taste? Mr. Wendell gave three steps which he thought he could trace in those whom he had seen attain to genuine taste for literature. First, a period of devotion to the approved authors, attended usually without much pleasure, and frequently with much discouragement. Second, this continues (provided the discouragement does not prevail) until the reader finds some one production which really appeals to him. The author of this becomes in his estimation the only one worth reading. Third, from this he at length begins to branch out, and, having once appreciated the force of literary beauty, he gradually learns to appreciate it in other writers, and to distinguish their excellencies from their defects. From this, Mr. Wendell draws his plan for studying literature. He recommends, in the place of any systematic course of reading, a general rummage among all writers who come favorably to one's notice. When the interest has been aroused by an allusion to an author whom one knows only by name, do not be satisfied with the account of a cyclopedia, nor with selected extracts, but get access to the author's complete works, read a bit here and a bit there, get some idea of what he has written. By this process the reader will be attracted by what best pleases him, and will at length learn to appreciate the qualities which attracted him.

Mr. Wendell, the instructor, gave several warnings. First, don't be discouraged if you fail to see any beauty in authors who receive high praise. Tastes differ, and some of these authors may in themselves be unfitted for us. Another disturbing influence is that caused by critical students of the history of literature, (especially Anglo Saxon students,) who confound historical value with literary value, and often bestow the highest praise on works which to the modern taste have no literary excellence. Second, don't be discouraged if an author who at one time has moved us seems at another time to be insufferably dull. This experience comes to every one.

As a starting point, Mr. Wendell suggested the attainment of some familiarity with English history, and the reading of some brief sketch of English literature. He also suggested several books which are likely to furnish clews which the reader will find interest in perusing ; among them are volumes of the English Men of Letters series, Ward's English Poets, and Palgrave's Golden Treasury.