DECORATION DAY IN CAMBRIDGE.

Although the college authorities do not kindly allow the students any privileges on this holiday wherewith to celebrate the day, yet the evidences of activity among the native born population of the town made itself evident yesterday to all, students included, from very early in the morning until the hours of work were over. About 7.30 the early breakfasts at Memorial Hall were surprised by the appearance of a detachment of grand Army veterans decorating, as is now the custom, the tablets in the transept. All the morning the air was filled with the sound of martial music, which reached a culmination about noon, when a procession, accompanied by much drumbeating and blare of trumpets, passed by the windows of Massachusetts, within which sat imprisoned a lot of helpless mortals busily intent upon the passing of examinations, but who found all the noise and jollification without hardly compatible with their sober thoughts. This procession finally made its way to Sanders Theatre, where, by permission of the college authorities, the literary exercises of the day were held. Here a large crowd, including a considerable number of students, had assembled, who listened with interest to the oration, addresses, music, etc., which made up the programme. When all was over, the noise in the streets began again, and it was not till the veterans and escort had marched all around the yard that quiet was restored and the toiling student forgot, except for the extra number of loose muckers struggling about, that the day was known to all but him as Memorial Day.