YALE POLITENESS.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMS N:-In the discussion about the freshman game, one point seems to be forgotten, the treatment our nine received at New Haven. After the first two or three innings when our nine lead in the score, a systematic series of yells and cheers was begun by Yale men. Whenever a fly was hit by a Yale man they raised such a shout that the men out in the field could not hear which one was to take it; then, whenever our pitcher went to pitch at any critical point in the game, they would yell and hoot so as to upset him. They also would cheer for our side's errors, or again, when one of our men came to the bat they would cheer for "three strikes and out."

Now while it is freely admitted that they played a better game than our nine, there is little doubt that they succeeded in accomplishing their attempt to "rattle" our nine. It takes much more practice and much stronger nerves than most freshmen, or even upper class men possess, to play a steady game under such circumstances. Dartmouth seems to have been entertained in the same manner on Monday. In the latter game they are said to have apologized for their mode of welcome, after they had gained the game by that same welcome. Truly, this is a good specimen of Yale politeness. There is but one word that characterizes such a proceeding fitly, and that is-"muckerish." It plainly shows that Yale has become so used to victory that she cannot accept defeat in a straightforward and gentlemanly spirit, but must have recourse to the methods of roughs and bullies to obtain that which she cannot get by fair play. '87.