Co-operation at Ann Arbor.

The coming year at Michigan University witnesses a new co-operative society there, something on the plan of the successful one here at Harvard. Not much can be learned of it as yet, but this is known, that there is much enthusiasm among the students for such an enterprise, and that almost all of them have signified their intention of supporting it. The plan calls for a membership fee of $2.00, and this is expected to cover all expenses, the goods being sold at cost price, with no advance. The superintendent is to receive $500 salary. The need of such a society has been felt by the students, not only at Ann Arbor, but everywhere throughout the northwest, as in many trades the retail prices of articles needed by students are very high. Especially is this true in respect to books for which they pay more than the marked retail price in a New York catalogue, while here anyone can get them at a nominal wholesale rate.

In order that a good start might be obtained, the superintendent made a visit to Mr. Waterman, the superintendent of our co-operative society, during the summer, and received many valuable suggestions from him. He was shown the workings of the organization here, and also many of the affiliated tradesmen, from whom he ordered many articles for the Michigan students, finding Boston an advantageous place in which to buy. With the enthusiasm already shown he thought that the society could not help being successful and sure of a rapid growth, as it is looked upon with much favor by the college authorities.