THE TIE GAME.

The excitement which was felt in the decisive Yale-Harvard base ball game last June is well illustrated by the following: "The opinion was well-nigh universal that for intense, sustained and towards the last positively painful interest, the game has been unequalled in the last ten years. In the eighth inning when Harvard had three men on the bases and only one man out, and needed only two runs to tie the game, the suppressed excitement was almost unbearable. I saw graduates of the 'fifties and 'sixties around me who were so nervous that they had to sit down and steady their hands in order to light a cigar. Gray-haired, venerable-looking men entered into the sport with all the zeal of their young friends just out of college. The enthusiasm of the latter found vent in cheers that prolonged the game from four till nearly seven o'clock, there being fully three-quarters of an hour when the answering cries of the boys-and some of them, too, would come under Dr. Holme's definition of "the boys"-were echoed back and forth across the field. Every time a player was put out the air was filled with college cheers, and the game was stopped for a minute or two."