The Crews II.

As the University and the Freshman crews are preparing for Inter-collegiate races, it may be presumed that the entire college is interested in their progress. Consequently a more detailed criticism of them has been prepared than was given to the three upper class crews in the first part of this article last week.

The University crew is rowing about 400 strokes on stationary seats every day. After this they use the chest weights or dumb-bells, and then take the costomary run up North Avenue. They are at present rowing as follows:

NAME CLASS WEIGHT

1. J. R. Yoeom, '85, 177

2. T. H. Cabot, '86, 163

3. H. W. Keyes, '87, 172

4. J. J. Colony. '85, 168

5. W. Endicott, '87, 193

6. A. Baum, '87, 183

7. J. J. Storrow, '85, [Capt]. 157

Stroke. G. S. Mumford, '87, 156

On the other weights :

1. C. H. Pennypacker, '88, 176

2. W. A. Brooks, '87, 171

3. C. F. Ayer, '87, 171

4. G. A. Harris, '86, 164

Before any criticisms are offered, it should be stated that the present crew is almost entirely a new one. Storrow is the only man who rowed in both of last year's races ; Yocom rowed in the Yale race. As may be seen above, one half of the candidates are sophomores, and have consequently but one year's experience. Two of the others, Colony and Pennypacker, have never pulled an oar before. Mr. C. P. Curtis, L. S. is at present acting as coach. During the last few days the crew has been told to give special attention to the recover: to slow up gradually when coming forward. This is a very difficult thing to do, for it demands absolutely perfect control of the body. The men back of number seven have not yet attained the ease and grace which characterizes an efficient oarsman. Those from number two to number six do not always swing directly over the keel. The following individual faults were noticed last Friday. Number one had his arms bent on the "full reach," number two used his slide, bent his arms too soon after the catch, and swung back too far; number three had the inside wrist curved down instead of up, and was not gentle enough in shooting out his hands. Number four has rowed since November, and made rapid improvement; his body swing is good, but his movements should be more continuous. Number five used his shoulders, instead of keeping them firmly in position, changed his grip frequently, and rushed own on the recover; number six was not firm enough, there was a jerkiness noticeable in his stroke, due to the fact that he kept his arms bent on the full reach; number seven had too violent a shoot; number eight swung a little too far, and was a trifle unsteady on the last part of the recover. Of those who rowed on the other weights; number four swung back too far; number three and number two did not make the movements of the body and arms continuous, but stopped after the shoot; both bent the arms too soon after the catch; number two had a very short swing, and did not hold his arms straight on the full reach; number one has but lately begun rowing. T. P. Burgess, '87, 180 lbs. will soon be able to resume his position at number five.

The first ten of the Freshman crew is seated as follows:

NAME WEIGHT

1. A. Porter, 152

2. C. H. Buddwin, 148

3. B. D. Hale, 152

4. W. Abbott, 156

5. F. G. Bradley, 162

6. T. R. Thomas, 158

7. A. Churchill 186

8. T. C. Woodman, (Capt.) 165

9. J. R. Purdon, 158

Stroke. C. F. Adams, 3rd, 150

These men, as may be seen from these figures, are as heavy as the average freshman crew, among them are several very strong men. As a general criticism, the attention of the crew may be called to the necessity of keeping exact time, of keeping the arms straight until the upward swing is finished. Number one stops at end of shoot, and then rushes down; number two might shorten his swing forward; number three jerks his hands towards his knees when starting to swing up; number four does not let the arm and body movements follow each other continuously; number five uses his shoulder; number six bends his arms too soon; number seven uses his shoulders, and bends arms too soon; number eight lunges forward at the finish of the recover; number nine changes his grip, and does not sit up high enough ; stroke hangs slightly at the reach.

The second ten :

NAME WEIGHT

1. H. D. Shepard, 148

2. C. F. Henry, 156

3. J. I. Workum, 146

4. G. A. Carpenter, 153

5. D. C. Holder, 150

6. A. P. Butler, 155

7. T. G. Balch, 166

8. C. L. Griffid, 168

9. W. D. Bancrott, 165

Stroke. R. H. Fuller, 164

This ten has an irregular recover, and a jerkiness in all its movements. Number one, two and three do not make their motions consecutively; four continually changes his girl; five bends his arms too soon; and raises his shoulders; six should sit up higher. And make his movements continuous; seven bends his arms too soon after the catch; eight has an awkward shoulder movement; nine does not follow stroke closely, and bends his arms too soon; stroke hesitates before shooting out his arms, and bends his arms too soon. The above criticisms on the individual members of the two freshmen tens will not of course cover all the faults; only the most conspicuous ones are mentioned. Mr. Borland, '86, is at present acting as coach.