Training at Harvard 15 years Ago.

It is scarcely credible to believe that any such outrageous system of training as was practiced by all professionals fifteen years ago, should ever have been adopted by Harvard men. Rowing men of the present will shudder at the requirements of a captain of a crew in former years:

"Men were obliged to turn out and run, walk or row long distances before breakfast. when for twelve hours they had eaten nothing, and would come back faint and half famished, and with that all-gone feeling that work under such conditions brings, and which would frequently say by them all day. Then their bill of fare would contain little else than underdone beef or mutton, stale bread, a very stingy allowance of potatoes, and none at all of any other vegetables; sometimes tea, never any other drink but water, two for dinner, and one for supper, and not even this much, if they could possibly do without it, and with nothing at all between meals; and this, no matter how fierce the heat and how severe their work.

No wonder that. with such lack of variety of nutrition, sore boils broke out on them, until we heard of one man who had seventy-three. No I wonder that men could not sleep, and getting up at midnight and faithful to their orders not to slake their burning thrust, would bathe their heads and necks for the relief it brought !

And not contented yet, men have been known to think it necessary to bundle up unusually, and work until in a reeking perspiration, purposely to reduce the flesh, and, truly, a more weakening process can hardly be devised."