Tennis Association.

TREASURER'S REPORT OF 1884-5.

The following is a brief summary of the report of the treasurer as submitted at the meeting night before last :-

The past year was the most prosperous in the history of the Association. The courts were kept in good condition; the expenses were considerably lessened; all the courts with one exception were provided with back nets, and the debt was largely reduced. Sufficient subscriptions have been made to pay for the Challenge Cup presented last spring to Mr. P. S. Sears; the entire amount has not yet been collected. The charges for the use of the courts will probably remain this fall the same as at present, as the autumn expenses, owing in a great measure to the cost of sending representatives to the intercollegiate tournaments at New Haven, are very heavy proportionately to the shortness of the season. Next spring they may be lowered five cents.

The original cost of the present courts, built in 1885, is estimated to have been about $2,375.00. $1,225 was collected from '88, '87, '86, and earlier classes; and Harvard University loaned at 6 per cent. $1,150.00. '89 subscribed $331.00, of which $330.00 was applied to the redemption of the debt. Last year Mr. S. W. Sturgis, '90, collected from his class $350.00, all of which was devoted to paying off the debt. The debt thus amounts to day to $500.00.

Subjoined is a brief table of the expenses and receipts from 1st October, 1886-6th October, 1887 :-

H. L. T. A.Dr.To balance from spring, '86. $ 29.77

To '90 subscriptions for debt. 350.00

To subscription for challenge

cup 82.00

To court receipts 768 10

To tournament receipts 37 00

To sundry receipts 2.00

$1,268.87

Cr.By reduction of debt $ 350.00

By interest on debt 41.25

By labor 241.11

By tournament expenses 70.39

By New Haven tournament 55.49

By dues to I. C. A. and U. S. N. A. 12.00

By back nets, and 207.75

By repairs of courts, and c 192.80

By sundries 8.53

By balance on hand 89.65

$1,268.87

R. T. PAINE, JR., treasurer.6th October, 1887.