College Rules at Yale.

We give below extracts from the recently adopted rules at Yale. Compared with our few and lenient rules, these seem very severe.

Sec. 8. Absentee from college exercises . . . will be excused only on satisfactory evidence of severe illness. . .

Sec. 9. If a student is prevented from study by continued ill health ... he may be excused for want of preparation. . . [This applies to cases where a student is not able to study although he may not be so ill as to be obliged to keep his room.]

Sec. 10. A member of the senior or junior class may be absent from eight class room exercises, and a member of the sophomore or freshman class from six class room exercises during the first term and during each half of the second term . . . The term class room exercises as here used includes recitations, lectures delivered on those courses which are subject to examination, and rhetorical appointments. Under this rule . . . a tardiness of more than five minutes or an egress will be counted as an absence.

Sec. 18. The student will be held responsible for preparation of [ommitted lessons on] review, unless he gives notice to the contrary at the beginning of the exercise.

Sec. 20. Semi-annual examinations omitted must be made up at the corresponding time in the following year, except those omitted in December by members of the senior class, which must be made up at the sessions of the following June. Special papers will be prepared on subjects in which the work done by the student's own class has been different from that done by the class whose sessions he attends. In no other case will special papers be prepared.

Sec. 23. Conditions - A student who is deficient in any study of the first or second term, may be required to pass a written examination on the same at the beginning of the next term. This examination will be upon the day preceeding the beginning of the following term. If a student fail to pass at this special examination, he will be required to try again at a session of the next succeeding semi-annual examination, and failing at this, at the next, and so on.

If at any time a student has conditions upon which he has once failed to pass, and which cover more than 100 hours of class-room work, he will be removed from his class, and will not be readmitted to the same class.

All conditions must be passed before a student can be recommended for a degree.

Sec. 24. If a student is admitted to College with conditions, such conditions will stand against him, unless for special excellence of scholarship during part or all of his first college year, the Faculty, on recommendation of the class instructors, cancel them. All such conditions not so canceled will be treated like conditions on college studies in accordance with the provisions of Rule 23.