Note and Comment.

CANON FARRAR AT YALE.

The following editorial appeared in the Yale News:

"One important result of the recent Harvard anniversary celebration is the renewal of the question in regard to the elective system as now in vogue at this University. Interest in this subject has been revived by the remarks of James Russell Lowell, on the classics in his oration, and in view of the fact that Mr. Lowell is one of Harvard's most distinguished graduates, his remarks have a peculiar significance. It is interesting for us here at Yale, to watch the progress of the discussion, inasmuch as Yale has always been on the conservative side in this question, and has been regarded as the leader in the so-called old school of education. This term does not imply that the course of study here is not in accordance with modern ideas. On the contrary, Yale has alway been ready to introduce new methods and new ideas, when their value has been proved by experience, but she has never been willing to go to such an extreme of literality as Harvard. To all educated men therefore, and especially to college students, this discussion is of peculiar interest, since it happens at a time when the history of education in this country has been brought prominently to our notice, by the celebration of Harvard's 250th anniversary."