CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY.

At a meeting of the Board of Directors held on Thursday, Oct. 29, it was voted that the money subscribed in aid of the Society in January last be refunded to the subscribers. It will be remembered that the money was needed last year at the time when the Society was in difficulties, as a guarantee fund to ensure its continued existence. At the end of the year, the society found itself with a net surplus of stock of the value of $1000. The present year has begun with this surplus. The membership for the present year, and the estimated excess of receipts over expenses, fully warrant the directors in returning the guarantee fund which the public spirit of the subscribers caused to be raised. The return of the money has accordingly been voted. Checks for the several amounts will be sent to the subscribers. Although the money can now be returned, it should not be inferred that it was unnecessarily raised. Without it, the Directors would not have felt justified in continuing the business, and the present secure position of the Society could not have been attained.