The "Cane Spree" at Princeton.

The "cane spree" is an institution peculiar to Princeton, and a description of it may interest our readers. It is in no sense a cane rush, and must not be confused with the disgraceful struggles which occur at some colleges between the sophomore and freshman classes en masse. It is merely a species of wrestling by representatives of the two classes for the possession of three canes. A heavy weight, middle weight, and light weight champion is selected from each class. At the appointed time, a great crowd collects in a ring on the campus, and then the heavy, middle, and light weight couples contest seperately for the canes. Last Tuesday the annual cane spree occurred at Princeton. The first spree, the light weight, was won by a freshman, who, as the Princetonian says, "after four rounds had been vigorously fought, secured the cane by a twist, and was carried off on the shoulders of his enjoyed classmates." The middle weight spree was won by a sophomore. In the heavy weight spree, we see evidence of the spirit in which Princeton is conducting foot-ball mattes this year. The candidates selected were foot-ball men, but, as the managers of the spree were unwilling that foot-ball men should incur the danger of a heavy fall, the candidates were barred out, and without protest acquiesced to the decision of the managers. The freshmen had no man to put up against the other candidate of the sophomores, and so lost the heavy weight.