'87-'88 Foot-Ball Game.

THE JUNIORS WIN AFTER AN EXCITING CONTEST BY A SCORE OF 20 TO 8.

In anticipation of a close a d exciting contest between '87 and '88, nearly 800 spectators gathered on Jarvis yesterday afternoon. Had it not been for the strong west wind which blew across the field, no better condition of weather could have been wished. Before the game the sophomores were generally expected to win, and were strongly backed by their friends. The styles of play of the two teams were in sharp contrast. '88 relied almost entirely upon her half-backs to play a rushing game, while eighty-seven trusted to the long kicks of her half-backs and the rushing of her quarter-back. Eighty-eight excelled in tackling, but eighty-seven was by far her superior in team play, and with her heavy rush line played a better blocking game. The support which the juniors gave their quarter-back was the noticeable feature of the game. Every man seemed to play for all he was worth, and the game was exciting throughout.

At 3.10 o'clock the game began, with the wind in favor of '88 and the ball with '87. For some few minutes after the kick off the playing was very loose on both sides; the bail was muffed badly, and the kicking was wretched. The sophomores soon settled down to work, and repeated rushes by Holden and Porter forced the ball to '87's tenyard line. Play was now fierce on both sides. '88 had the ball and passed it to the half-backs. Holden made four or five short but plucky rushes. Some times a dozen men would be piled up on top of him. Finally Porter secured the ball, and by a determined rush made a touch-down, owing principally to Russell's failure to tackle him. The ball was punted to Holden, and within two minutes this player secured the second touch-down for '88. The score was now 8 to 0 in the sophomores favor, within 10 minutes after play had begun. During the next fifteen minutes the ball remained a greater part of the time in '87's territory. Willard would make long kicks only to be returned by Porter, who once kicked it over the line. Again the ball was kicked over by Holden. A brilliant rush by Porter brought the ball from the middle of the field to the 30 yards line. Russell secured two free kicks on account of fouls. All this time the sophomores were playing the better game, but in the last ten minutes the juniors braced up and forced the ball towards their opponents goal. Fiske made a fine rush; by sheer strength he carried the ball and three or four '88 men for more than fifteen yards. Fletcher now began to play his rushing game. After receiving the ball from centre rush he would dash through the line, and every time gained several yards. The '87, rush-line played splendidly. At this point '88 did some fine tackling, especially, Crocker. Time was called with the ball within 30 yards of '88's goal. Score, '88, 8; '87, 0.

In the second half, with the wind in their favor, the juniors began to play with confidence. The ball was drib bled to Holden who made several rushes, and forced the ball to the '87 20 yards line. Willard got the ball and attempted to rush, but was brought to the ground by Porter. Soon, however, the ball was in '88's territory, but in an instant it was in Porter's hands, who made the longest rush of the game, nearly half the length of the field. During the next ten minutes the ball was kept in the middle of the field. Gradually it was forced towards '88's goal, and for a few minutes there was sharp playing on both sides. Fletcher now made a splendid rush and scored a touch-down, from which Willard kicked a goal. Six points for '87. The ball was placed in the middle of the field, but soon it was again near '88's goal. Repeated rushes by Fletcher kept the ball there. Russell made a long rush and secured the second touch-down for '87. Holden attempted to push him outside; both men became talkative whereupon they were promptly disqualified by the referee. Their places were filled by Wiestling, '87, and Palmer, '88. Score, '87, 10, '88, 8. The ball was punted out by Peabody; another rush and touch-down by Fletcher followed, from which Willard kicked a goal. The ball was placed in the middle of the field, and soon by terrific rushes by Porter and Woodman, was close to '87's goal. A long kick by Willard sent the ball into the middle of the field, and good rushing by '87 kept the ball near the '88 goal. Fletcher now made his third touch-down, from which Willard was about to kick a goal when time was called. Score, '87, 20; '88, 8.

Porter and Holden did almost all the playing for '88; their rushing and kicking was very fine. After Holden was disqualified the work all fell upon Porter, and although every man on the other side was laying for him, he made some remarkably plucky and brilliant rushes. Crocker, Woodman, and Hallowell played well. For '87, Fletcher did the most effective work; his dodging and rushing were marvellous, and the rush line finely supported him. Willard's long kicks kept the ball from the '87 goal. Peabody played a faultless game, and Keyes, Faulkner and Fiske did good work in the rush line.

The two teams were composed as follows:

Fiske. Rushers Bancroft.

Bartol. Rushers Woodman.

Keyes. Rushers Balch.

Brooks. Rushers Churchill.

Bowen. Rushers Purdon.

Meeks. Rushers Hallowell.

Faulkner. Rushers Crocker.

Fletcher. quarter-back Noble.

Willard. half-backs Porter Holden.

Russell. half-backs Porter Holden.

Peabody. full-back Reynolds.

Referee, Littauer, '86.