University Handicap Meeting.

WELL CONTESTED EVENTS, BUT NO RECORDS BROKEN.

Saturday was a clear, cold day, and the spectators who gathered on Holmes in the afternoon to witness the athletic sports, were put to as great a test of endurance as the men who contested the various events. A strong north-east wind blew acoss the field, and prevented the runners from making fast records. The track, however, was in excellent condition, and had the weather been more favorable, records would doubtless have been broken. The number of entries was unusually large, and many of the events were closely contested.

BICYCLE RACE.The first event on the programme was the bicycle race for which F. L. Dean, '88, was the only entry. The strong wind which was blowing made fast time an impossibility, but Dean held to it pluckily and made the two miles in 6 minutes, 37 seconds, 20 seconds less than the college record which was made by Kohler of the University of Pennsylvania last week, and 8 seconds slower than Dean's record of last spring.

100-YARDS DASH.Then came the 100-yard dash, in which three heats were run. The men in the first heat with their handicaps were as follows: D. D. Smith, '86, scratch; E. H. Rogers, '87, 1 yard; W. S. Scott, '89, 4 yards; L. S. Thayer, '88, 4 yards. A fine start was had and a very pretty race was made. The men were well bunched at the finish, but Thayer was first to cross, a foot ahead of Rogers. Time, 10 3-4s. In the second heat, J. W. Merrill, Jr., '89, 5 yards; N. A. Phillips, '88, 6 yards, and E. C. Stowell, '88, 6 yards, contested. Stowell won by a yard in 10 4-5s., Phillips second, The final heat was won by Stowell in 11s. Thayer took second prize and Rogers third place.

The record in this event is 10 seconds, made by Wendell, of Harvard.

PUTTING THE SHOT.Simultaneously with the 100-yard dash came the putting of the 16-pound shot. The contestants were R. C. Clark, '86, D. B. Chamberlain, '86, J. T. Davis, '89, and G. L. Hunter, '89. This was finally won by Clark with a record of 36 feet 8 1-2 inches. Chamberlain took second place with a put of 34 feet 5 inches. Hunter was third and Davis last. Clark's put was 3 1-2 inches less than his record last spring. The record in this event is 37 feet 10 inches by Cuzner of McGill University, Canada.

THE POLE VAULT.followed, in which T. C. Craig, '87, and J. W. Dudley, '87, both scratch, were the contestants. Dudley cleared 8 ft. 1-2 in., while Craig could get no higher than 7 ft. 6 in. Record 10 ft. 1 in. by Toler, of Princeton.

ONE-MILE WALK.This was the most hotly contested event of the meeting. The entries were H. H. Bemis, '87, scratch; E. C. Wright, '86, scratch; F. W. Murphy, L. S., 30s.; H. Swain, S. S., 40s.; F. E. Zinkeisen, '89, 40s.; A. H. Knapp, '89, 50s.; W. Noble, L. S., 55s. Fifty-five seconds, or even 30 seconds, is a big handicap to overcome in a mile walk, but Bemis and Wright walked splendidly and on the first quarter gained 50 yards and on the second 100 yards. On the last quarter the scratch men had passed all their competitors except Murphy. Bemis had secured a lead of about a yard at the start and held it until the last 100 yards, when Wright passed him only to be overtaken by Bemis when within a dozen yards of the finish. Murphy won by a few feet, with Bemis second and Wright third, six inches behind. Murphy's time was 7m. 36s., and that of Bemis 7m. 37 2-5s. College record, 7m. 4 4-5s., by Eldredge of Columbia.

RUNNING HIGH JUMP.Then came the running high jump, contested by H. L. Clark, '87, scratch; D. C. Clark, '86, 5 in.; J. D. Bradley, '86, 5 in.; J. H. Shepard, '88, 6 in.; E. Buckingham, '87, 7 in.; F. E. Parker, '89, 9 in. The jumping was started at 4 feet. Shepard was the first man to drop out at 4 ft. 9 in. Parker failed three times at 5 feet, which threw him out. The remaining men all went over 5 ft. 2 in., but the next height to which the bar was raised, 5 ft. 3 1-2 inches, was too much for Buckingham and Bradley. This left the two Clarks to finish. Both cleared at 5 ft. 4 3-4 in., after which D. C. Clark retired. H. L. Clarke kept on, but could get no higher, and so, according to the handicapping, D. C. Clark won the event, with Buckingham second. Record, 6 ft. 1-4 in., by Page, of University of Pennsylvania.

ONE-MILE RUN.The mile run was contested by F. B. Dana, '88, scratch; A. T. Dudley, '87, 10 yards; P. Marquand, '89, 50 yards; G. L. Deblois, '89, 65 yards. Dudley started in good form, running easily and well, and soon passed Marquand and Deblois. Then Marquand passed Deblois and Dana passed both of them. At the half Dana's time was 2 minutes 23 1-2s. Deblois dropped out on the third quarter. Dudley still led though Dana was gaining on him, while Marquand was badly tired. Dana's time on the third was 3.44. On the fourth lap Dudley was running seemingly as fresh as ever and won easily in 4m. 58s., with Dana second. Record 4m. 37 3-4s. by Cuyler, of Yale.

220-YARDS-DASH.S. G. Wells, '86, scratch, C. O. Lander, 2 yards; W. S. Scott, '89. 7 yards; E. C. Stowell, '88, 7 yards; L. S. Thayer, '88, 7 yards, were the contestants in the dash. They obtained a good start and Wells soon got the lead and kept the advantage, winning the race in 24 1-4s. C. O. Lander came in second. Record, 22 2-5s. by Baker of Harvard.

THROWING THE HAMMER.Entries, H. B. Gibson, '88, scratch; D. H. Clark, '86, 1ft.; W. J. Bowen, '87, 3ft.; D. B. Chamberlain, '86. 4ft.; J. T Davis, '89, 11ft.; G. L. Hunter, '89, 11ft. Clark won with a throw of 76ft. 9in. to his credit. Record, 88ft. 11in. by Kip of Harvard.

HALF MILE RUN.Much interest centred in this race as it was expected that Baker might break the record. The entries were, Wendell Baker, '86 (scratch), E. L. Blossom, '88, (75 yards), and C. N. B. Wheeler, '86, (90 yards). Baker did not run well, and although he overtook Blossom, Wheeler won the race by about 12 yards. Wheeler's time was 1m. 59 s., Baker's 2m. 5 1-2s. Record, 2m. 4-5s. by Goodwin, '84.

120 YARDS HURDLE RACE.The 120 yards hurdle race, for which were entered J. D. Bradley, '86 (scratch); F. B. Lund, '88, (10 yards); F. L. B. Noble, '88 (17 yards), was won by Noble, with Lund second. The race was very close. Noble's time was 17 1-2 seconds. Record, 17 1-2 by Mulford of Columbia.

440 YARDS RUN.Entries, S. G. Wells, '86 (scratch); C. N. Wells, S. S. (5 yards); H. L. Clark, '87 (6 yards); and J. M. Smith, '89 (15 yards). The race was close between Wells, '86 and Wells, S. S. On the last 100 yards, Wells, '86 took the lead and won in 54 1-5s. The winner is a very fast runner, but his whole ambition seems to be simply to win the race, and when he has secured a lead, he makes no effort to make good time. Record, 50 1-4s. by Baker.

RUNNING BROAD JUMP.The following were the contestants in the running broad jump: J. D. Bradley, '86, scratch; R. D. Smith, '86, 4 inches; F. B. Lund, '88, 10 inches, and T. H. Shepard, '88, 20 inches. It was won by J. D. Bradley, with a jump of 19ft. 11 1-2in. Lund came second with a jump of (corrected) 19ft. 9in. Record, 21ft. 3 1-2 in. by Bodlesen of Columbia.

THROWING 56-POUND WEIGHT.The last event of the day was the throwing of the 56-lb. weight (distance and height). The contestants were H. B. Gibson, '88; D. C. Clark, '86; and D. B. Chamberlain, '86. Chamberlain threw both further and higher than his rivals, and easily won the event. He threw in length 21ft. 7in., and in height just 10ft. Best amateur record, distance 26ft. 3 1-4in., height, 11ft. 4in.

The officers of the meeting were: referee, W. F. Wesselhoeft, '84; judges, Prof. C. R. Lanman, H. B. Cabot; time keepers, E. E. Merrill, W. R. Trask, '85; J. G. Lathrop, E. A. Thompson, '87; starter, Dr. Swain; judge of walking, E. E. Merrill; measurers, S. H. Fessenden, '86, F. S. Coolidge, '87; scorer, F. Remington, '87; clerk of course, C. Amory, '88; assistant clerk of course, J. M. Hallowell, '88.