The Glee Club-Pierian Concert.

AN ENJOYABLE TRIP TO PORTLAND.

On Friday last, at five minutes past twelve, there left Harvard Square two street-cars, laden with two tons of humanity and half a ton, more or less, of yet-to-be-developed music. The passengers were the members of the "Pierian Sodality and Harvard Glee Club," billed to appear in a concert at Portland. The street-cars, driven at the exhilarating speed usual in Cambridge, reached the main depot in ample time for the Portland train, and unloaded their freight into a couple of drawing-room cars. These immediately assumed a character which it is safe to say they never before dreamed of. The report along the line that a menagerie had "broken loose" will give a hint as to the character meant. The grave senior, unused to aught but dignity, unbent his brow into a smile and shouted and sang at intervals between puffs at his cigar. The junior was elate and jocund, and the sophomores and freshmen copied the example thus set them. Various parties, curiously enough of four each, seized and held possession of the smoking compartments and played whist; the Glee Club practised its songs, numbers of Pierian men joining and giving an impromptu character to the rehearsal; and an odor of smoke fought with the atmosphere for supremacy - and won. About thirty miles this side of Portland a student resident, Mr. F. H. Whipple, '88, introduced to the first car-load the Mayor of that city, who gave encouraging reports of what might be expected. Anxious inquiries as to the quality of the water, an important matter in Maine, brought forth a reassuring answer, and the Mayor left with a cordial invitation to both societies to call at his house in Portland.

But that city was now near. Some anxiety was felt as to modes of conveyance to the hotel. This, however, were set at rest by the presence of three tally-ho coaches, by which name were dignified three ordinary hotel coaches; but then one could sit on top and nearly tumble off, so what more could be wanted? At any rate, from this height of vantage the town was taken by storm; passing teams were urged to a race, and that, too, while climbing a hill; the hotel was, however, soon reached, and the prospective contest prevented. There ensued a scene of confusion worse confounded than to some seemed necessary. It must be decided how to arrange rooms, and a good half hour was consumed in getting settled. That done, and supper over, a regiment of dress-suited fellows issued from the hotel and marched to martial music in the direction of the City Hall. The large assembly room of that building was used for the concert; it seats two thousand people and was filled almost to overflowing. A mighty sounding of "Ah!" ensued upon the arrival of the players, and soon all was in readiness for an appearance. It would be unwise to attempt a criticism of the rendering of the programme, for the scientific analysis by the CRIMSON'S musical editor next Thursday would make a sort of ante facto chestnut of this article. Suffice it to say that the concert was an entire success. The Portland audience was undeniably a very cold one, but was warmed into enthusiasm by the rendering of the college songs and by the Meyerbeer march. The latter was played with excellent spirit and expression, and richly deserved the encore accorded it. The yodeling was a feature of the concert that won great applause. It was evidently a novelty; this fact being evinced by the manner of its reception and by the report of one of the papers next morning; the ingenious reporter had evidently looked it up in his unabridged and in accordance with its definition praised "Mr. C - 's funny falsetto singing."

After the concert a triumphant procession was formed, and to the stirring notes of "Yale Men Say," the line of march was taken up to the house of the Mayor. Here the serenade was interrupted by the appearance of that gentleman himself, who hospitably threw open his doors and invited all to come in. After a short entertainment of the societies in his house, the Mayor was bid "good-night," and with twenty-seven cheers the party returned to the hotel. For an account of the manner of this return, the meeting, disarming, restoration and pacification of the belligerant policeman; the storming of the ball-room; the multifarious deeds at the hotel, and the many humorous events of the night, it can only be said with the circus posters, "See small bills," by which can be understood that each and every member of both societies can and will make of himself a special reporter and relate interesting tales of the trip. The next morning saw most of the party on board the Boston train, and no less disposed to enjoy themselves than on the day before. The train rolled into the Boston depot at last and the trip of the Glee Club and Sodality to Portland was over.

S.