Dr. Farnham's Lectures.

HEALTH AND STRENGTH.

Following is a prospectus of Dr. Farnham's lectures:

Hygiene - Its division into personal hygiene and public health. Ground covered by personal hygiene. Hygiene in early times and its development in recent years. Knowledge of anatomy and physiology necessary to hygiene. Inheritance - external and internal causes of disease - avoidable diseases - vital statistics.

The Body. - Structural and chemical composition. Development, growth, waste and repaired death.

Digestive System. - Anatomy and physiology of digestive organs; teeth, salivary glands, stomach, liver, pancreas, intestinal glands, bowels. Foods appropriate to different ages and conditions of life. Avoidable diseases of digestive system with special reference to indigestion, constipation, corpulence,

Vascular, System. - Anatomy and physiology of heart, arteries, capillaries, veins, spleen, blood. Avoidable diseases; how produced and how avoided.

Respiratory System. - Anatomy and physiology. Avoidable diseases, how produced and how avoided.

Nervous System. - Anatomy and physiology. Influence over whole body. Increase of diseases of nervous system in modern life. Mental overwork. Diseases of nervous systems due to neglect of personal hygiene. Sleep and its derangements, worry, emotions, passions.

Genito-urinary System. - Anatomy and physiology. Venereal diseases; their effects on the individual and the race.

The Skin. - Anatomy and physiology. Care of skin.

Physical Exercise. - Advantages and dangers of athletic sports. Overwork.

Stimulants and Narcotics. - The theory of stimulation and narcotics. Articles used as stimulants and narcotics. The physiological effects. The disease producing effects on the tissues and organs. Use and abuse. Is there any place for the use of stimulants and narcotics in health, with special reference to alcohol and tobacco.

Unclassified. - Air, water, clothing, diseases of occupation, climate, season, idiosyncrasy, animal and vegetable parasites, care of the eye and ear. Rise of new diseases. Great epidemics of ancient and modern times. Animal heat.