Boating Interests.

YALE AND HARVARD IN CONFERENCE.

Some time ago the executive committee of the Harvard Boat Club requested the executive committee of the Yale Boat Club to appoint a committee of two, who should meet a similar committee from Harvard and revise the rules governing the Harvard-Yale races. The old agreement between Harvard and Yale, it will be remembered, prevented from rowing in the races all special students and students whose names did not appear in the catalogue as trying for a degree. By this agreement, Mr. R. A. F. Penrose, the stroke, came very near being deprived of his seat in the boat last June. A revision of the old rules was necessary.

The four delegates met on Dec. 12, at the Fifth Avenue Hotel, New York City; L. E. Sexton, '84, and G. S. Mumford, '87, representing Harvard; G. A. Adee, '67, and Alfred Cowles, '86, representing Yale.

An agreement was made in 1881 by the two boat clubs with the people of New London, that the latter should flag the course and keep it clear on the day of the annual race. The utmost efforts of the authorities were unable to keep all strange craft off the course during the last race. In fact our boat was nearly swamped by a passing steam-yacht. It is easy to imagine how much worse would be the result if the authorities took no charge whatever of the course during the race. This arrangement, advantageous to both parties, expired with the 1885 race and the conference decided to get the agreement renewed if possible.

But the most important business of the conference related to the rules regulating the races. These rules were all carefully discussed and revised, and as finally decided upon were made to cancel all former agreements between the colleges. The rules, as revised, will appear in the CRIMSON, as soon as they are ready for publication.