German Students.

AS SEEN AT HEIDLEBERG LECTURES.

The following interesting glance at an important phase of German University life is taken from the columns of the Amherst Student:

"It is interesting to watch the students as they gather. The lecture never begins before a quarter past the hour, and during that time the students straggle in, one by one. Each has an enameled cloth or leather pocket, in which he carries his papers and books for taking notes. He leisurely hangs up his hat and coat, spreads out his papers, and takes from his pocket an inkstand and a common steel pen. The blackened desks and streaked floors give ample proof of the catastrophes that have overtaken these inkstands in times past. An American stylograph would be an untold blessing to the German student, and somebody will undoubtedly make a great fortune by introducing that instrument of comfort and safety, unless, indeed, the conservatism of the Germans should resent and refuse such an improvement. After the student has made his preparation for work he chats with his fellows till the professor comes. The professor is always greeted by applause, or by a rising in the seats. He comes in on a walk that borders on a run; begins to talk almost before he reaches his box, and often before he has taken off his coat or his gloves. The manner of lecturing is as varied as the individuality of the lecturer. A few sit quietly and read written lectures, some speak with few notes, and some with no notes at all. Few make any attempt at oratorical effect, and as the students' eyes are generally on the note books, such an attempt would be largely wasted. One lecturer, who is quite near sighted, lays his manuscript on the high desk before him, over which only the top of his head is visible to the students, and reads steadily, or putting his hands in his pockets lounges back in his pulpit, where he is only visible to those at the side. Almost all the lecturers drop the voice two or three words before the close of the sentence, which renders it difficult to follow them."