Required English.

READING RECOMMENDED BY PROFESSOR HILL.

The following course in reading is that recommended by Professor Hill in connection with the lectures given to sophomores and freshmen on required English.

Sterne. Any two volumes of Tristram Shandy, and ten pages of a Sentimental Journey.

Goldsmith. The Deserted Village; six essays or letters in the Citizen of the World; the first fourteen chapters in the Vicar of Wakefield, or She Stoops to Conquer.

Irving. Twenty or thirty pages of any volume of History; Rip Van Winkl and Sleepy Hollow (from the Sketch Book), or Dolph Heliger (from Bracebridge Hall), and Tales of Money Diggers (from Tales of a Traveller).

Miss Austen. Any novel.

Scott. One novel and one poem.

Hawthorne. One of these four romances-The Scarlet Letter; A Blithe dale Romance; The Marble Faun; The House of Seven Gables.

Burke. Speech on Conciliation with America.

Webster. Oration, entitled The First Settlement of New England, or an equivalent amount in the speeches,-Plymouth, Bunker Hill, Adams and Jefferson, Knapp Trial, Dartmouth College, Seventh of March (1850) Constitution a Compact, Hayne, Removal of the Deposits, Extension of Capital, Girard College, Ogden vs. Sanders.

Carlyle. One of the following essays: The Diamond Necklace; Signs of the Times; Characteristics; Address on Choice of Books; or an equivalent amount either in Sartor Resartus, or the French Revolution.

Emerson. Fifty pages of prose, (earlier works preferred).