Harvard During the Recess.

With the exception of Thursday, which was a cold, raw day, and of Saturday, when the rain fell in torrents during the forenoon and part of the afternoon, the weather during the recess has been delightful, and well suited for out-door sports. The various athletic organizations have made the most of it and have been practising daily. All the class crews remained in Cambridge during the week, and every afternoon took practise spins on the Charles. The 'Varsity were here until Saturday, when they took a few days vacation; they will begin rowing again to-morrow. The men experienced considerable difficulty and discomfort in getting into their boats, as the large float was not put in position until Monday, and they were obliged to crowd into the small boat-house and embark from the small float. On account of the high winds which are wont to prevail during this time of year, the water has been rather rough. Yesterday, however, the Charles was as calm as a mill-pond.

The candidates for the nine, at Capt. Winslow's request, remained here, and have been out on Jarvis every day excepting the rainy Saturday. On Thursday a game had been agreed upon with the Beacons, but as the latter did not put in an appearance, the nine were defrauded out of the only game that had been arranged for during the recess. The ground on Jarvis was so soft that little skill was shown, and no opinion could be formed as to our prospects in base-ball. The lacrosse team has not been practising systematically, but every day some of the men have been on Holmes.

About twenty of the men who are trying for the Mott Haven team have been assiduously at work under Mr. Lathrop's guidance, practising running, jumping, throwing the hammer, putting the shot, etc. The track has not been in good condition, so that no very good records have been made. A top dressing of loam and cinders to the depth of an inch has been put on the track, and it will be two or three days before it will be in condition for running, and probably a fortnight before bicyclists can venture on it. Prof. Shaler says that Holmes Field was formerly a peat bog, which accounts for its extreme slowness in drying up in the spring. The Tennis Association has already begun laying out the new courts. The ground back of the Law School building has been broken for the clay courts. Occasionally during the vacation men have been playing tennis on Jarvis, but the ground has been very soft and play therefore very difficult.

Memorial Hall has had its usual spring vacation quota of boarders, between two hundred and fifty and three hundred, considerably more than were there during the Christmas recess. The library has been almost deserted, the finals being far enough removed to cause little or no anxiety to the average student. Withal the vacation has been a very pleasant one, and the universal cry is, "Oh, for another week like this."