The first military company here at Harvard was organized in the year 1769, and had for its first captain a graduate of 1770. The uniform consisted of "a blue coat, the skirts turned with white, nankeen breeches, white stockings, top boots, and a cocked hat." This company continued to rejoice the hearts of the students, and win the smiles of the Cambridge maidens for twenty years, till finally, indifference caused its death. Its last captain was a member of the class of 1787. After a sleep of twenty-one years, it was (in 1811) reorganized by Gov. Gerry, and then received the name of the "Harvard Washington Corps," which name it bore during the remainder of its existence. Arms were furnished by the State. The uniform was changed from the "Continental" style worn by the first organization to one rather more modern. It was composed of a blue coat, white vest, white pantaloons, white gaiters, a common black hat, and white belt with cartridge box and bayonet attached. The officers were reinforced in the same manner, except that a sash took the place of the belt, and a chapeau the place of the hat. In the fall of 1812, a banner with the college arms on one side, and those of the State on the other, was presented to the company by the ladies of Cambridge. The members of the Corps were all taken from the senior and junior classes. Its armory was in the top story of Hollis for many years, till it was thought best to move it to University. Although one of the finest and best drilled companies in the State, the only service it ever performed was practicing on exhibition days, and when the peace of 1815 was declared, firing a salute. In 1825 it was reorganized for the second time. How long it had been dormant is not known, probably only a short time, however. After a very prosperous life of ten years, during a rebellion of the students, the guns were thrown from the armory windows, and the Faculty disbanded the company, From an article by a graduate of 1830, and an ex-commander of the Corps, it seems that one of the three objects of a freshman's ambition was the command of the college company. The eight officers were elected each year with formality and solemnity befitting the election of a pope. In fact, this was one of the great events of the year.
In these days of varied amusements, and inter-collegiate sports, we can hardly appreciate the zest and spirit with which our predecessors entered into an affair of this kind, certainly setting us an example which could be followed with great profit.
Reserve Officers' Training CorpsR. O. T. C. Training Corps, Harvard University. May 18, 1917. Notice: The Post Tailor for the Reserve
JUNIOR COMPANY PROGRESSINGIn spite of its many handicaps, the Junior Company of the S. A. T. C. has been progressing rapidly, and
Regimental Orders1. The officers recently appointed are attached to companies, as follows: Company A, Lieutenant Claude A. Adler, Lieutenant Leeds A.
Another Summer Military Camp.(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for
SWOPE TO DESCRIBE BUSINESS AS CAREERThe second of a series of vocational talks arranged by the Committee on the Choice of Vocations will be given