The Challenge Cup.

HARVARD WINS IT FOR THE SIXTH SUCCESSIVE YEAR.

The athletic event of the year in which most college interest centres, the annual meeting of the Inter-collegiate Athletic Association, was held on Saturday afternoon in New York, on the grounds of the Manhattan Athletic Club. For months our own association has been making its preparations for this day, and its efforts to defend the great challenge cup, which it has held continuously for five years, were rewarded with success, and this intercollegiate trophy will remain at Cambridge another year.

Thanks to the personal efforts of Mr. Dathrop, who was on the ground two days in advance, the track, usually in a poor condition at this season of the year. was put into fair shape for running, and the athletes were not bothered quite as much by that as formerly. But although the track was in a better condition than last year, the general management of the games was very lax, some of the officials being so incompetent or prejudiced that Harvard suffered the loss of at least two events.

The morning was showery, but a little afternoon the weather had cleared so that by the time the sports were called it was bright and clear, the only drawback being a strong wind up the home stretch and a slight heaviness of the track. The grand stand was crowded with the supporters of the teams from ten different colleges, and at times of excitement the din of the varied cheers was tremendous. Harvard, Yale, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, Lafayette, University of Michigan, Princeton, Leigh, Trinity and St. Johns, each sent at least one representative athlete, the Harvard delegation being the largest and numbering twenty-four. Mr. G. H. Badeau of the WIlliamsburg Athletic Club, acted as referee, and there were a host of other officials.

100 YARDS DASH.The trial heats of this event were first called. There were a large number of entries, nineteen in all, and it was necessary to have four trial heats, the winners and the best second to run in the final heat. Baker won the first; Bonine, '86, U. of M., the second; Mapes, '85, Columbia, the third; Holden, the fourth; and Derickson, '85, Columbia, was the best second man. Smith of Harvard ran third in the second heat.

The final heat was started in a most careless manner. Bonine was several yards ahead of the line when the word was given. Although the attention of the starter was called to the fact, he refused to set them back, but fired his pistol, sending the men off. Baker was behind at the time and so failed to catch either of the first two men, though running much faster than either. Bonine won in 10 3-5s. and Derickson was second.

2 MILE BICYCLE RACE.The trial heats of this important race followed the trials in the 100 yards dash. Dean won the first, with Renton, Columbia, second; and Hamilton of Yale, '86, won the second heat. The final heat ridden later in the day was contested by these three men. The first mile was very slow, and none of the men exerted themselves. Dean, who held the lead at first, allowed himself to be caught napping by Hamilton. The second mile was rather faster than the first, and the race was won easily by Hamilton in poor time.

TUG-OF-WAR TRIALS.There were four teams which actually contested in this event, those of Lafayette, Leigh, Columbia and Harvard. A fifth from St. Johns was ruled out because of an improper belt, and the Pennsylvania team did not turn up. Lafayette made easy work of the Columbias, and the Harvard men had to pull the Leigh team, their old antagonists of a year ago. The result was that at the end our men had pulled fourteen inches away from Lehigh. This left Lafayette and Harvard to contest for the final heat, the last event on the programme.

THE MILE RUN.There was a large field of entries for this event, among them being Roberts, Brandt and Root, of Harvard; Smith, Columbia; Faries, '85, U. of P. Roberts took the lead and set the pace for the first quarter at 1m. 7s. During the second lap Roberts and Brandt, who were leading, slowed up, and set a much slower pace, 1m. 22s. This decided the race, for Smith and Faries, not in as good training as our men, but having more speed, were enabled to keep within a short distance of the leader until the last half of the last lap, when they raced home, both beating Roberts, who had kept the lead till then. Faries won in 4m. 46 4-5s, with Smith a close second, in 4m. 47s.

PUTTING THE SHOT.Briggs and Coxe of Yale, Rohrbach, '87, of Layfayette, and Clark of Harvard contested for this event. Clark's puts were very good, and far better than the best he has done in practice. The Yale men did only fair work, but Rohrbach made one beautiful put of 38ft. 1in., and won the prize. Clark was second, with 37ft. 8in. If the shot was of the correct weight (of which there was doubt at the time) this will make Rohrbach the holder of a best college record.

THE RUNNING BROAD JUMP.This event was but poorly contested, two of the four men being from Harvard. Bradley, '86, was the winner, his best jump measuring 19ft. 6 in.; Fogg, '85, was second; record, 19ft. 4 1 2in. Mapes of Columbia, and Rubsamen of Yale were the other men.

THE QUARTER-MILE RUN.This race was practically a walk-over for Wendell Baker, '86, there being no good man to press him. In fact only two others, Griffith, '86, Princeton, and Ellison, '85. U. of P., went in. Baker's time was slow, as he was saying himself for the 220 yards dash. It was 54 2-5 sec., Griffith was a poor second.

MILE WALK.The entries for this event were seven in number, but before two laps had been walked, all but three had either fallen out or been disqualified. The three left were Bemis '87, who had the lead, Ware of Columbia, and Wright, '86. third. Bemis kept the lead until the middle of the last lap, when Ware, who had been warned twice, managed to pass him by a very questionable style of heel and toe walking, and came in ahead. Ware's time was 7m. 27 3-5s. Bemis made it in 7m. 31 3-5s.

THE HURDLE RACE, 120 YARDS.This was the most unfair contest of the whole afternoon. Ludington of Yale, and Safford of Columbia, and Bradley, '86 were the contestants. The starter gave the word to get ready, and the first two started without waiting for the pistol. Bradley requested that they be set back according to rule, but the starter without heeding him fired his pistol, and Bradley had to follow the other two, by that time already half way to the first hurdle, or get left entirely. He ran so much better than they that he cleared the last hurdle almost at the same time with them, and finished but a few inches in the rear of Safford, who, in turn, was almost abreast of Ludington, the winner. The time was 19 1-5s.

THE POLE VAULT.This was rather a tame contest. The three Harvard men. Frothingham, '86; Dudley, '87; and Craig '87; all failed at 9 feet. The winner, L. D. Godshall, '87, Lafayette, make a record of 9 ft. 7 1 4 in. The second man was A. Stevens, '87, Columbia.

THE 220 YARDS DASH.This was run in heats, Baker and

(Continued on Third Page.)