Fair Harvard.

The Michigan Chronicle, a journal which does honor to the university which it represents, sends us a copy of its elaborate and attractive Christmas number. We reprint part of the very complimentary article on Harvard:

"Just as our own alma mater is without doubt the principal, if not, in the true sense of the term, the only university in the west, so Harvard is certainly the university of the east, and by reason of its age and wealth, with the great advantages and opportunities thereby afforded, there is but little doubt that "Fair Harvard" can with justice claim the proud distinction of being the foremost university in America.

The general idea men of other colleges have of Harvard, is that it is a place where no man should go unless he is abundantly supplied with cash, or has a fond and wealthy parent not too careful in examining his son's accounts, and that with this condition favorable, Harvard is a good place for a man to have a good time, and to see something of the world, but that he must do his studying elsewhere. Nothing is more erroneous than this idea. Harvard is a place where, in point of wealth, the extremes meet, and that is just what the governing authorities intend it should be. To the young man with money, that he doesn't know what to do with, every opportunity is afforded of spending it. The tuition fee is high, and expensive board and rooms may be easily obtained. And if the wealthy man still finds money burning in his pocket, why the street cars will take him to Boston in half an hour. But with its scholarships and prizes and with abundant opportunities to tutor - and that at a good figure, the price charged by undergraduates for tutoring ranging from one to two dollars and a half, an hour - Harvard certainly affords the best of opportunities to a student who is well off in brain, but poor in the riches of this world. And fully three-quarters of its sixteen hundred students are made up of men no richer than the average student at our own university.

Then in study, while Harvard certainly has more than its share of men who merely slip along without doing more study than is absolutely necessary, yet it may confidently claim that within its halls there is as much hard work done and as good results obtained as at any other institution of learning in the world. Certainly there are men who spend most of their time in the gymnasium or on Holmes or Jarvis Field, or rowing on the river, but even these do some work in college, or at least those who don't probably wouldn't do any better elsewhere, and the authorities certainly seem to think that if men won't come to college to study, it is better that they should come to row and play ball than not to come at all, on the same principle that we encourage people who come to our churches to hear the music, if they won't come to hear the sermon. And it can be truly said that to these Harvard gives every opportunity of improving their physical constitution, if they won't take the advantages offered their mental powers. Mens sana in corpore sano, should be Harvard's second motto. With its splendid Hemenway gymnasium, fitted out with everything in the way of athletic apparatus that human ingenuity has devised, its ball fields and running tracks, it is no wonder that Harvard, drawing from its sixteen hundred students, all of whom are anxious to represent their college in athletic contests, should be able to put forward a base-ball nine that wins every game it plays, a football team that is only beaten by Yale, and a boat crew that leaves even Yale in its wake."