A German Conception of Base-Ball.

On looking through a German illustrated paper, published in one of the smaller towns of Southern Germany, I was amused to find a picture, apparently taken from the Police Gazette, showing the last home run between the Chicagos and New York. In explanation of this illustration, I found the following: "The picture in our to-day's issue represents a sort of contest in running and ball-throwing, which is very popular in North America, but wholly unknown in Europe. Twenty-four players divide off into two opposing parties, and every man is given a fixed position on a large field, from which he tries his utmost to achieve glory and victory for his side. The game consists in alternately running, hurling a wooden ball, and the so-called "base," which is a heavy block of wood, covered with leather. The chief player is obliged to wear a sort of fencing mask and coat of armor to protect him from this "base," which is flung at him with great violence. In one picture can be seen how the finest runner of the Chicagos managed, although he stumbled, to lay hold of the "base" and thus to get possession of it." (The player in question was sliding in and just touching the home base.)