The First Vesper Service in Appleton Chapel.

1. "O, Lord, Our Governor," Marcello

2. "Lead, Kindly Light," Dudley Buck

3. "Sweet as the Dew," Warren

Over five hundred members and friends of the University gathered in Appleton Chapel yesterday evening at 5 o'clock, to join in the vesper service, the first of a series which is to continue throughout the winter months. May they all be as ably and heartily conducted as was that of yesterday.

Rev. F. S. Peabody, Rev. E. S. Hale, and Rev. Dr. Gordon officiated. The choir was supplemented by the Temple Quartet of Boston, consisting of Meser. Bateman, (first tenor); Webber, (second tenor); Cook, (first bass); and Ryder, (second bass). The service was opened by the singing of the anthem by the choir. Dr. Peabody in his short prayer then spoke of the fitness of such an hour of quiet retreat, in which our hard, intellectual life may be softened by an appeal to our emotional nature. The 39th psalm was then read. Following this was Buck's superb "Lead, Kindly Light," sung by the Temple Quartet. Dr. Gordon then read the 19th psalm, upon which he founded his address. He urged very forcibly that only by the emotional feeling life can man achieve great nobleness. The intellectual life is much, but it is not all. Through music and by music, can we drink in and express the higher life. The preacher then closed with a few words of prayer.

The quartet then sang "Sweet as the Dew" by Warren. The first verse of the 130th hymn, sung by all present, closed the service, and Rev. Edward Everett Hale dismissed the congregation with benediction.