University Boat Club Benefit.

A NOVEL ATHLETIC EXHIBITION.

For several weeks there has been a movement on foot to give the University Boat Club a benefit, and, if possible, remove the debt which has been hanging over it for the past few years. This benefit, for which successful preparations have at last been made, is tendered by all the athletic organizations of the university together, and is destined to show the work done in the gymnasium as well as exhibit the various class and university teams. It will be held in the gymnasium on the 27th of March, the Saturday after the last winter meeting of the H. A. A. The programme, in which it is expected a large number of men will take part, especially in the first few events, will be about as follows: Horizontal bar work, parallel bars, tumbling and leaping. During the tumbling various specialties will be introduced. A class in heavy dumbbells will bring out the heavier athletes of the university. After this there will be some pyramid making and then will come, the floor having been cleared by this time, the exhibition of the different organizations. The champion Mott Haven team will show its system of winter training by an exhibition of jumps hitch and kick, putting the shot, pole vault and walk.

The Mott Haven team having retired, the '86 crew will take the floor, passing 16 lb. shot with two-hand motion, and will in turn be followed by the '87 crew with light dumbbells, the '88 crew with Indian clubs, and the '89 crew in light dumbbell drill. The champion University nine will either pass the shot or go through the bar-bell drill. In absence of a regular university eleven, the '86 team will take the floor and pass a foot-ball for a few minutes till the appearance of the champion Lacrosse team, which will give an exhibition of passing ball on lacrosse sticks. The last event on the programme will be an exhibition of Harvard's fifth champion organization, the University crew, which will row two hundred strokes on the rowing weights.

It is hardly necessary to say, perhaps, that none of these events, such as the horizontal or parallel bar performances, will be competitive, the aim is simply to give an exhibition of what is done in the gymnasium, and that only.

It would seem, from the programme here presented, that a most interesting exhibition might be given; one which not only would very materially reduce the debt of the Boat Club, but be a source of the greatest satisfaction to participants and spectators alike.