Notes as Indices of Character.

Next to his physiognomy a man's note-book is important in judging his character. There may be some who will not believe this; but they will be found to be the unobserving among us, those who lose the greatest benefit of a college course, knowledge of one's fellow men! Note-books have as many individualities as the men who write them, always remembering that, aside from the general classification, some books will be found to include one or more of the characteristics of several classes.

Lowest on the scale are books full of copied notes, written up hurriedly from the books of a large circle of friends. They are insignificant, and uncharacteristic except in so far as they show the slinking habits of the owner. Next comes the note-book in flexible covers, bearing generally some such printed legend as the "Students Own Blank Book." These are used by men who take few and careless notes, and after a few days they get the air of a grocery order book. Above these rank the larger stiff covered note-books of all shapes and sizes, men using these are worthy of some respect, for, however poor their notes may be, they intended to do well at the beginning. Note-books in grades above these belong to the "aristocracy" and comprise everything from the ones marked "journal" on the back up to those bound to private order. The finest notes will be found in the aristocratic class of note-books, for the owners of these take pride in their fullness and neatness.

The real individuality, however, the essential imprint of the writer's mental states, defies classification. The chirography, the methods of expression, selection of facts, and last but not least in many students' books, the pictorial embellishments tell the story. The pictorial trait persists mainly in the limp-covered class and in the stiff-covered books which have fallen from grace. Some of the pictures will often be found to be clever and ingenious, but rarely bearing on the lecture topic. Some are poorly drawn but expressive, while others are mere aggravations.

Men of pessimistic tendencies will be found to cultivate the representation of devils imposing their tortures on the faculty, and the friends of the artist. Devils are easily drawn and are found oft repeated in blank spaces. Reminiscences of the ballet and bal masque give pleasing diversity to the books of many idlers. Then, too, there are details of Greek cut, goodies, professors, and many other subjects which employ their pencils, Pictures of pugilistic encounters should not be omitted from the list.

The men who try their stylographic pens on the edges of their notes, write their names all over their books and indite doggerel to their female friends therein, all lay their trivial characters before us. Straws show which way the wind blows; study the men about you through their notes and you will not need a game of poker to tell his character.