The Lacrosse Team.

In view of the improvement this year of the members of the lacrosse team in the use of their sticks and in individual play, perhaps a criticism of the men taken separately will not be out of place. The team is at present playing as follows:

Goal, Peck, '88.

Point, H. E. Peabody, '87.

Cover-point, H. M. Williams, L. S.

First defence, J. M. Goodale, L. S.

Second defence, A. A. Gardner, '87.

Third defence, A. R. Weed, '87.

Centre, T. D. Davidson, '88.

Third attack, F. C. Hood, '86. (capt.).

Second attack, H. G. Hale, '87.

First attack, A. T. Dudley, '87.

Second home, E. Blodgett, '87.

First home, A. C. Robinson, '89.

As Easton, L. S., unfortunately cannot play goal this year, there is a vacancy to be filled by a new man. Peck, '88, and Latta, '89, are trying for the position. Peck works behind goal very well, but has a careless way of twisting balls through the posts after he has stopped them. Latta, on the other hand, is not certain behind goal. He can remedy this by learning a long throw and thus gaining confidence in himself.

Point does not move out quickly enough when short distance shots are made for goal. He plays a careful, steady game.

Cover-point keeps the ball away from in front of goal very effectively. He has but one fault, he occasionally plays to the grand stand and lets his man get too far away from him.

First defence never loses a chance to pass, and plays a thoughtful game, but he is very uncertain in picking up swift rolls, and slow in getting his throw.

Second defence is weak with his long throw, and his passing is wretched. He lobs the ball and seldom gets it into the stick of the man he is passing to.

Third defence is very unsteady, runs over the ball, and fails to cover quickly at critical times.

Centre fumbles the ball and is slow in picking up.

Third attack roams around the field too much, and crowds too far in on the attack. He keeps the ball too long and, when in a tight place, swipes it without looking. He is a very straight shot when he gets a chance at goal.

Second attack shoots swiftly and straight, but it takes him too long.

First attack catches, dodges, and shoots well as a rule. Occasionally he lets long catches bounce off of the end of his stick instead of scooping them. He works very well with second home.

Second home runs and dodges well, but holds the ball too long and sometimes shoots from too far away.

First home needs experience. He is learning to check the goal's stick, an important duty of first home. He will make just the man for the place if he works hard.

The following men are playing as substitutes,

Towle, '88 in the centre field does very well if he would cover a little closer.

Crane, '89 in the attack lacks energy and fails to follow up his man.

Griffing, in the defence is a very promising player and works hard.

The team, as a whole, works systematically and faithfully. The faults of the three parts of the field are as follows. The attack crowds in too much towards goal. The defence fails to cover towards the centre when the ball is being rushed up against their goal. The centre is unsteady at all times.