Harvard Union Debate.

The Harvard Union last evening debated the question: "Resolved, that the boycott is a legitimate weapon of labor." Mr. Platt, '88 opened for the affirmative and Mr. Sternbergh, '87 for the negative, followed by Mr. Proctor, '89, affirmative, and Mr. McAfee, '88, negative. From the floor, Mr. Saunders spoke on the affirmative and Messrs. Garrison, '88; Merriam, '86 and Stanton, '87 on the negative. Mr. Knapp, '87 presented the report of the library committee on the reading-room. He said the reading-room was not in as prosperous a condition as could be wished, and advised its separation from the Union. The reports of Mr. Furber, '87, as treasurer of the reading-room and as treasurer of the Union then followed, also the report of the chairman of the executive committee, Mr. Mahany. All went to show that the society is as prosperous and useful as ever.

After a good deal of discussion as to methods of election the following men were elected members of the society: M. Gow, Div., B. H. Lee, L. S., S. B. Stanton, '87, E. A. Harriman, '88, A. P. Gay, '88, M. E. Kelley. '88, F. W. Thayer, '89, C. M. Thayer, '89, W. F. Pillsbury, '89, B. L. Drew, '89, W. W. Magee, '89, W. Coulson, Sp., F. S. Palmer, '87.

Then followed the election of officers. Mr. Rich, '87, was elected president, Mr. Mahany, '88, was re-elected vice president, and Mr. Furber, '87, secretary.