FOOT-BALL.

FRESHMAN ELEVEN.

The number of candidates for the freshmen eleven on Jarvis Field yesterday afternoon was exceptionally small, and the men themselves very light. Captain Clark arranged the men on sides, and a half-hour was spent in practice. As might have been expected, there was considerable fumbling, and the men did not seem to know exactly what to do or which way to run, and the quarterbacks had no idea how to throw the ball.

It is customary for Exeter to send a large delegation of football men to Harvard, but we find only two at present trying for the eleven. These two are Goldthwaite and Horn-the latter of whom is playing centre rush for the 'Varsity. From the Roxbury Latin are Williams and Blainey. Hopkinson sends some promising candidates, among who are W. Weld, who was hurt while practising with the 'Varsity a few days ago, but will be out again in a few days to play halfback. Nichols has played quarterback for several years, and is a good tackler. The others from Hopkinson's are Amory, Bangs and Blanchard.

Comnock, of Lowell, is trying for the University team and is playing a strong game. Fitzhugh, from the Groton Academy, is a strong man and ought to make a good halfback. Crosby, from Cutler's School in New York, showed up well in practice yesterday, as end rush, as did Thomas at halfback. The other candidates are as follows : Barlow, Burnett, Tudor, Baldwin and Morrison.

It is too early to predict what '91 will do, but it seems as if more large men could be influenced to come out, for there are certainly some in the class. Let all who have played football go out and help '91 to follow the good example set by '90.