Communications.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to our columns, but we do not hold ourselves responsible for any sentiments advanced in comunications. Anonymous contributions will not be accepted.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON:- There is a prevalent but mistaken idea among the students that the football team is, or ought to be, self supporting. It is the policy of the management this year to play the best teams available at whatever cost, and to play all games possible in Cambridge. As the cost of transporting a football team is large. and as our opponents come from considerable distance, we are compelled to give large guarantees. For example, to Williams and to Amherst we had to pay over $100 a piece. The gate money received for those games was scarcely over $200. We did not make enough to pay the police. In the championship games we are compelled to divide the gate receipts. Last year we lost over $700 by that operation. That is, we paid out that amount more than we received.

In order, then, to meet our expenses, amounting to over $3,500, we are compelled to ask for subscriptions. to those who have already subscribed we are grateful. All others who are interested in the success of the team will, we hope, take early opportunity to follow their example.

B. M. PALMER, Manager.