The "Advocate."

The seventh number of the Advocate appeared Monday and seems to maintain the standard set by the former numbers of the year. There is but a scanty lot of editorials, a fault which can be excused at a time when there is little going on to deserve a paragraph, but if the truths contained in these few editorials are taken to heart by the students, they may bear some fruit. The number opens with a short poem of four stanzas in which the author attempts to tell in verse a romantic incident which ends unhappily.

The second article, "An Argument for Cremation" is a very powerful and thrilling story though certainly not an attractive one. A man is found apparently dead by some jolly monks, and in spite of the fact that the body still retains its warmth, they bury it at the abbey. Some time later the monks and their merry Abbot are disturbed in their carousals by noises issuing from the grave, and they find that the slab bas fallen from its place and the grave is empty. Later in the evening when the orgy is over, the Abbot on entering his room, finds a skeleton stranger who says he is the man buried so long ago. He claims to have been buried alive, describes his feelings in the grave and the sensation of being devoured by the worms, and finally accuses the Abbot of being the cause of his woes. As be ceases to speak he throws himself at the affrighted monk. In the morning the friars find the Abbot a "gibbering fool." The story is wonderfully well told and as a work of the imagination highly successful.

The next article, a description of a Hoffman concert, is a very readable paper, but it is doubtful if the subject is one which interests the college at large. We have heard so much of the young musical phenomenon of late that little new can be said of him. Still the writer is very successful in what he attempts.

"A Night in a Norwegian Hut," which follows, is a very interesting description of just what the title claims for it-a night in a Norwegian but. The article is well written and is very acceptable to readers who know so little of the land of the midnight sun.

"The Story of Buddha," a metrical translation of the Sacred Books, is one of the best pieces in this number. Not only is the matter itself interesting. but the translator has also, by his happy choice of words, added to its beauty. The lines

"Until at evening when the setting sun Touches with last caress the, passive earth";

And again:

"T'were better, Lord, that we should find ourselves

And feel his mighty love through which the worlds

Are glad and blossom as the lotus bloom"

-are especially beautiful.

"The Death of Shelley," an imaginative account of the way in which the poet met his death, is interesting and well written. Dialogue which is apt to fall into colloquialism is here happily prevented from sinking down.

The last article "(Re) publicans and (Fair) Sinners" is a story in a much lighter vein than the others. The hero, a scheming politician, goes to the convention at Saratoga, and, at the time when his presence is most needed to strengthen his chance for nomination, yields to the fascinations of a fair conspirator and goes off on an excursion, only to came back too late and find that his rival has secured the coveted prize. The story is fairly well written, but the plot is by no means new.

Some items and the Advocates Brief make up the number.