The River Open.

'88 AND '89 ON THE WATER.

The spring-like weather of yesterday attracted a large crowd of students to the boat-house, since it had been noised abroad that the 'Varsity and the class crews were to make their first appearance of the season. The water in the river was very high, covering a large part of "Harvard Park."

The lack of wind made the surface very smooth, but rowing was rather difficult, owing to the strong ebb-tide that was flowing and which swerved around the various turns at a very rapid rate.

At four o'clock, '89 made its appearance. The barge was handled well and soon the men were seated and the boat pushed off. Captain Storrow sat at number 8 and set a lively stroke which was responded to in fair form by the other men in the boat. The men rowed down to the first bridge, and then returned, continuing their course up-stream. As they passed the boat-house the individual faults showed glaringly. There was bad time in the waist, while the men in the bow seemed to have no conception of how to turn their oars on the recover. No one but stroke and seven pulled his oar through to the finish. As '89 disappeared up the river '88 was seen coming through the lower bridge. There was evidenced better rowing here, the old men in the boat showing up in their well-known good form. The bow, however, showed its inexperience. The juniors, despite what commonly has been urged, ought to turn out a good eight. The class of '90 was represented more by the number of its members sitting about the boat-house than by its crew. A couple of pair oars, however, made their debuts, much to the general amusement. '87 did not send any of her boating men to try the water on this, the first day of spring.

Great disappointment was felt that the 'Varsity did not come out. There will be opportunities enough, however, to observe their prowess. The Yale crew, on the other hand, has been on the water for three weeks. Last year the season opened on the fifteenth, a day later than this year.

The following was the make-up of the '88 and '89 crews: Juniors - Stroke, Porter; 7, Bradlee; 6, Crocker; 5, Churchill (captain); 4, Woodman; 3, Appleton; 2, Baldwin; bow, Blossom; coxswain, Mitchell. Sophomores - Stroke, Storrow; 7, Parker; 6, Hebard; 5, Perry; 4, Markoe; 3, Trafford; 2. Woodbury; bow, Bush; coxswain, Pfeiffer.