The First Winter Meeting.

AN EXCEPTIONALLY INTERESTING MEETING - '90 WINS THE TUG-OF-WAR.

The first winter meeting of the H. A. A. was held last Saturday at the gymnasium, and was attended by a large number of outsiders as well as of students. The meeting was not as long as some have been in the past few years, and this, on the whole, was an improvement.

The first event of the afternoon was the putting the shot, (16 pounds). The entries for this were: H. O. Stickney, L. S., M. M. Smith, '92, H. R. Allen, jr., '92, A. H. Green, '92, and G. L. Hunter, '89. Smith and Green dropped out after they had each made three trials, and the event was finally won by Allen with a put of 32 feet, 6 inches. Hunter was second with a put of 31 feet, 3-4 inch. Stickney's best put was 30 feet, 8 inches.

Before the sparring began, Dr. Appleton, the referee, announced that the bouts would be decided by the points made, and not at all by the slugging, for he had been cautioned that slugging would not be allowed.

The second event, light-weight sparring, (under 140 pounds), was entered by A. H. Knapp, '89, F. Keene, '91, F. Cabot, V. S., J. Putnam, '92, and W. L. Smith, D. S. Keene withdrew entirely from the event. The first bout was between Putnam and Smith. Putnam forced the fight throughout the three rounds, and was declared the winner of the bout. The second bout was between Cabot and Knapp, and this was finally awarded to Cabot. The final bout of the light-weight sparring was, therefore, between Putnam and Cabot. In this bout Cabot took the offensive, and clearly got the better of Putnam, although Putnam took his punishment very easily; Cabot won the bout, and thus the cup.

In the middle-weight wrestling (under 160 pounds), there were two entries, W. L. Loewenstein, L. S., and A. E. Frye, L. S. Frye won two straight rounds and so won the event. In both rounds Frye forced the wrestling and his work was decidedly the more scientific of the two, although Loewenstein guarded well.

In the middle-weight sparring, (under 160 pounds), there were three entries, F. G. Curtis, '90, R. Wainwright, '91, and L. W. Chamberlin, '90. Curtis and Wainwright had the first bout, Wainwright forced the fight throughout, but Curtis carefully watched for openings and finally won the bout.

Chamberlin had drawn the bye, so the final bout was between him and Curtis. In the first round neither scored more than a point. In the last two rounds, however, there was a good deal more fighting. Curtis allowed his opponent to force the fight as before, and, by careful work, won the bout.

In the light-weight wrestling (under 140 pounds), there were two entries, F. Cabot, V. S., and G. L. Hunter, '89. Cabot withdrew from the event, however, so Hunter won the cup on a walkover.

For the feather-weight wrestling there was only one entry, thus making the event a walkover for Dodge, '92.

The next event was the heavy-weight sparring (over 160 pounds), for which the entries were, J. W. Smith, '89, F. G. Curtis, '90, and F. R. Bangs, '91. Curtis withdrew, so only Smith and Bangs were left. In the first two rounds Smith got decidedly the better of Bangs, but in the third round Bangs did much better work. The bout was awarded to Smith.

In the heavy-weight wrestling, (over 160 pounds), there were two entries, H. O. Stickney, L. S., and G. L. Hunter, '89. Hunter withdrew, however, leaving Stickney a walkover.

The best event was the tug-of-war for the class championship. The first tug was between '89, and '90. The teams were made up as follows:

EIGHTY-NINE. NINETY.

E. W. Grew, 1, E. S. Jones, 1,

F. O. Raymond, 2, N. R. George, 2,

John Endicott, 3, R. Tyson, 3,

G. Perry, anchor. A. Amory, anchor.

The '89 team got eight inches on the drop, one of the '90 team losing his foothold and carrying the whole team with him. After three minutes the '89 team increased their advantage to 11 inches; but '90 got some of it back before time was called. '89 won by 8 1-2 inches.

The next pull was between '91 and '92. The teams were made up as follows:

NINETY-ONE. NINETY-TWO.

P. Y. deNormandie, 1, H. L. Grant, 1,

J. F. Bass, 2, H. O. Stickney, 2,

W. H. McLellan, 3 M. I. Motte, 3,

J. J. Higgins, anc. H. R. Allen, anc.

Ninety-one got the drop by six inches, and steadily increased this distance throughout the whole tug, so that they had, when the time was up, 4 feet, 4inches.

The officers of the meeting were: Referee of general events, Mr. G. B. Morrison, '83. Referee of sparring, Dr. William Appleton, '77. Referee of wrestling, Mr. Outram Bangs, '84.