Princeton Letter.

PRINCETON, N. J., March 22, 1887.

Now that the regular routine of college work has begun and the men have settled down after the Christmas recess, the various athletic teams are being talked about, and the base-ball men have begun to practice as much as possible in the gymnasium. The cage has not been finished yet and it seems doubtful at present whether it will be ready for use for some time, though it was expected that practice could begin there immediately upon the re opening of college. A rather erroneous opinion of Princeton's prospects for a nine seem to have become current, and one much too favorable to her. There is good material here and Capt. Wagenhurst will do all in his power to develop a first-class nine, but now that the men have gotten down to work after a certain fashion, our prospects seem hardly so good as they did when it was only a matter of conjecture who would try for the team. Mercur, '88, will probably pitch, with King, '89, as change pitcher, though some think King will show up in better form than Mercur. Who will catch it is impossible to say, and Harvard is greatly envied in having two catchers such as Campbell and Henshaw. But of course it is much to early too make any definite forecasts about the nine, and it will be impossible to know how the new men will show up till the spring.

While athletics are in some measure a topic of conversation and interest, this lies mainly on the surface and is the result of the efforts put forth by the various captains to develop material for their teams. The large majority of the students have settled down to hard "polling" and the deepest interest is manifested in literary work.

Several new literary societies have been organized among both undergraduates and specials, some of which will devote themselves to the discussions of purely literary subjects, and others to questions of a political nature. There is rife also speculation as to the chances of the various speakers in the preliminary junior orator contests which take place in both halls, shortly. Four are chosen from each hall who will compete on public contest at commencement for the prizes offered.

The Bric a-Brac, which, owing to some trouble with the printers, is rather late this year, is promised this week, and the advance sheets are very handsome and give promise of a handsomer book than any of its predecessors. The price has been raised and the committee promise that the additional attractions of the book will more than repay for the increase in cost.

As the time for the meeting of the trustees for the election to fill the chair left vacant by Dr. McCosh's resignation draws near the interest among the students naturally increases, and there is much discussion as to who the future president is. It is rumored, and the rumor seems to be founded on facts, that Dr. Patton, of the Seminary, will be elected president, and Professor William Sloane, Professor of History in the college, will have a special office of vice-president created for him-a combination which gives the greatest satisfaction among the undergraduates.

PRINCETONIAN.