Old Oarsmen.

Yesterday's Globe has an interesting article containing reminiscences of old Yale and Harvard oarsmen. Bob Cook, Wilbur Bacon and William Blaikie all come in for a fair share of the discussion. In speaking of Cook the writer relates a conversation wherein he said:

"That rowing was now done with the head and body, while we fellows, who had followed Harvard's stern in for seven successive years, had done it all with our backs and arms. 'And you didn't even use your legs much, either,' he added, with a smile. He told me that he didn't favor giants for the boat, though he thought that had Bacon's great crew of giants in '65 known how to row the new stroke their performance would have been marvellous. A sixteenth-of-an inch wire, he said, was stronger than an inch-and-a-half rope, meaning that the texture and not the size of muscle did the business in a boat."

In speaking of getting together a crew of the old oarsmen the writer continues:

"And if with the Yale men there could also meet the Harvard rivals in the boats, Blaikie and Loring, and the massive Simmons and Dana, and their plucky associates, these men would give the lie, with their broad chests and clear eyes and ruddy cheeks, to the calumny that college boating makes old young men and wears the heart out."