Rowing at Cornell.

The men are taking hold of rowing with a vim that bodes well for our success next summer. Commodore Psotta, our veteran sculler. has taken things in hand with even more than his customary vigor. A new era is about to begin in the history of rowing at Cornell. The day of four-oared rowing is over. Perhaps all are not aware that the old intercollegiate association is finally and permanently broken up. To the recent call for a convention, not a single college responded. Cornell's record in the association has been a brilliant one and she comes out of it in possession of the cup. But however deserving we have been of praise, however plucky and successful our crews have been, we have certainly not received just recognition of it since the palmy days when Yale and Harvard withdrew from the association with the excuse that "they had no show where Cornell rowed, and they would rather row by themselves." And they have been rowing by themselves, and the attention and interest of the world has gone with them and remained centred upon them, for Cornell has had no rivals worthy of her mettle. But things were allowed to take their course until now the desired end has arrived of itself. And how does it find us? It finds us up abreast with Harvard, Yale and Columbia. a university of 1000 men, with a good gymnasium, with an athletic council out of debt, an eight oared shell of first-class build and model already paid for and unequalled facilities for rowing. With far less material in former years, we have crossed the line with twelve college crews astern, we have rowed the greatest of crews, Oxford; we have filled our library so full of trophies that some have to be rolled up and tucked away for very lack of room. Now, out of all this material is not something and indeed much to come? Thus, with a little new apparatus, splendid work will be done. Mr. Balch, the stroke of last year's winning crew, will be invaluable aid as a leader, because of his experience.

Now as to whom we shall row. It will probably be out of the question to get a race with Yale or Harvard next summer. We must first show our quality with some crews that they feel that they can down, and if we beat them-and we must-then will Yale and Harvard be bound to answer a challenge from us. We shall undoubtedly challenge the University of Pennsylvania first. They are just beginning to row eights, sent out their first last year, and will be a worthy opponent. Then comes the time for Cornell's first appearance at New London. Columbia would undoubtedly be glad to meet us, and this would bring us prominently into the field. We should without doubt have to devote ourselves to Columbia until we downed her. Then would we be ready for the blue and crimson. And that time depends as much upon you as upon the crew. Training will be very half-hearted if the men think the students do not take sufficient interest in their success to pay their way. The supporters should bethink themselves that they are helping to send out Cornell's first eight, and they may be helping-happy thought-to diminish Yale's "big head." The honor of sitting in Cornell's first eight will be sufficient incentive for an unusual amount of training. We hope that we have caught your attention and we shall endeavor to hold it.- Cornell Sun.